Detailing Efficiency Trick: How to Wash then Clay & Wax in just ONE step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane@TheRagCompany

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
People are constantly searching for tips, tricks & life-hacks, and detailers are no exception. So, when Yvan mentioned he had a trick up his sleeve for performing some common detailing tasks more efficiently, we knew we had to make a video about it!

Granted, this isn't a Dodge they're working on, but the same principles apply to nearly any vehicle. :happy107:

NOTE: For vehicles with heavy amounts of mud and dirt or majorly caked-on bugs, etc. It's definitely a wise choice to pre-soak the vehicle with something like diluted Optimum Power Clean and remove the really nasty stuff prior to a general wash.

Anyway, enjoy the show and leave some comments on it if you're feeling generous!

[YT]vbKbNXqfnM8[/YT]

Last edited:

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man that sound is tuff to hear!!! So obviously the polymers and products work to "lubricate" the rag and in team effort with no "pressure points" causes no scratching...

I am curious of your opinion on something as a detailer. I have been watching lots of videos of AMMO NYC (Larry) on Youtube. He seems to be well known detailer with a BIG youtube channel and numerous customers with high end super cars. Anyway one of his recent videos he talks about his opinion that the most scratching is done when drying with your waffle towels. Now he assumes on is doing everything right like these guys with 3 bucket wash method (1 for wheels) and all the right tools and procedures. His theory makes sense IMO but I am not sure if he is just trying to push his hydrate product. Hydrate he sprays 3 sprays on a wetted microfiber rag then rung out and simply wipes the panel he is on then rings out the rag. In his vid it seemed to dry the panel 100% with one pass and the hydrate gave it a serious shine. I kinda want to buy one bottle to try.

Anyway I have that optimum spray wax bottle but haven't used it yet. What would you say it best procedure to try it? Post wash spray on wet panel then dry?

OP
OP
Dane@TheRagCompany

Dane@TheRagCompany

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man that sound is tuff to hear!!! So obviously the polymers and products work to "lubricate" the rag and in team effort with no "pressure points" causes no scratching...

I am curious of your opinion on something as a detailer. I have been watching lots of videos of AMMO NYC (Larry) on Youtube. He seems to be well known detailer with a BIG youtube channel and numerous customers with high end super cars. Anyway one of his recent videos he talks about his opinion that the most scratching is done when drying with your waffle towels. Now he assumes on is doing everything right like these guys with 3 bucket wash method (1 for wheels) and all the right tools and procedures. His theory makes sense IMO but I am not sure if he is just trying to push his hydrate product. Hydrate he sprays 3 sprays on a wetted microfiber rag then rung out and simply wipes the panel he is on then rings out the rag. In his vid it seemed to dry the panel 100% with one pass and the hydrate gave it a serious shine. I kinda want to buy one bottle to try.

Anyway I have that optimum spray wax bottle but haven't used it yet. What would you say it best procedure to try it? Post wash spray on wet panel then dry?

I'm very familiar with Larry's work, as well as his clientele / following. I love what he does and he really gets deep into the nerdy/geeky/analytical side of detailing.

He's correct about most scratches happening during the drying process, but it has less to do with "waffle weave" and more to do with the fact that most people think the only way to dry a car is with a dry towel.

When drying, (Or doing anything to your paint, really) it's best to have some lubrication between the towel and the paint's surface. That's probably why Larry created Hydrate in the first place. (And from what I've seen of others using it, it really does work well)

That said, you can a lot of different products for lubrication when drying, it's just best to make sure that you minimize the cases where a dry towel meets dry paint. As long as one of them is sufficiently wet, there shouldn't be problems.

Like most things in detailing, the method of drying is really a matter of preference: We offer big super plush drying towels for the people afraid of waffle weaves, (Some other company's Waffle Weaves are genuinely scratchy compared to soft ones like ours) but we have just as many people who love waffle weaves and provide their clients world-class results on everything from Honda Civics to Lamborghini Aventadors, haha. There are a lot of ways to achieve the same final result.

In terms of basic detailing mechanics, though, anything touching your paint should have at least a little "protective cushion" between your hand and the paint, whether it's lubrication or big, long, fluffy fibers. (Even with long fiber piles it's possible to scratch if you press a little too hard and happen to run across dust/dirt, though, so always be on the lookout!)

All this is to say: Hydrate definitely serves a function, and serves it very well. There just happen to be a lot of other ways to do the same thing!

Hopefully that helps, I can get carried away on tangents sometimes, haha.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great response, I always enjoy when on a online forum where people come to discuss given topic they actually discuss it, not shoot a 5-7 word answer. You know that one guy on every forum that has never responded over two sentences and always seems to give people grief for asking questions...Anyway...

Yea I am honestly learning all of this detailing products and procedures the las few months. Been watching lot's of Larry and I may try the hydrate just because. Gonna head out and wash the truck and use some Optimum spray wax to finish it off :)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We want PICTURES!!!!! Hope you like that Opti---God, I hope this is over 5-7 words--LOL
Jay

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We want PICTURES!!!!! Hope you like that Opti---God, I hope this is over 5-7 words--LOL
Jay

Ha! I tried to 'team' the short response with grief giving :)

So after the wash I used the OPTI wax spray and here are a few pics...In justice of not an entire thread jacking we can consider these pics that show the OPTI wax spray? I have yet to try the Collnite but want to, just have shifted these last couple months to so much time detailing now on this truck. Took it out last night for maybe 35 miles of driving and she needs washed already again! I was hoping the OPTI spray created a bit more of a 'teflon' coating aka the slick feeling that dirt loves to roll off of. I think I may order a bottle of the AMMO Hydrate to try out too just for fun :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 11.22.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 11.22.54 AM.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 11.25.59 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 11.25.59 AM.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 11.22.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 11.22.19 AM.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 11.17.09 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 11.17.09 AM.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 114

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks realllly good!!!!!
Jay

OP
OP
Dane@TheRagCompany

Dane@TheRagCompany

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great response, I always enjoy when on a online forum where people come to discuss given topic they actually discuss it, not shoot a 5-7 word answer. You know that one guy on every forum that has never responded over two sentences and always seems to give people grief for asking questions...Anyway...

Yea I am honestly learning all of this detailing products and procedures the las few months. Been watching lot's of Larry and I may try the hydrate just because. Gonna head out and wash the truck and use some Optimum spray wax to finish it off :)

Thanks so much!

I really try to offer substantive answers anytime I think I actually have one, although I'm more of a microfiber-guru and less a detailing-guru. (I leave most detailing technical knowledge to people like Jessica or Levi here)

I'll never give anyone grief for asking a question, even "dumb" ones, haha...Although if someone is framing a question in a way just to be a pain, I'll probably try to come up with a subtle burn to work into my response. :hmm:

Side note: What a beauty of a rig you've got!

Last edited:

JRam813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked your site, I must be missing where to purchase the Opti Clay rag? I am all ready to purchase the Platinum kit, the ONR and Spray wax but couldn't find the clay rag.

Warwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Might be dumb question what's clay used for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334