Detailing: How to Claybar/Favorite Product

Favorite Clay bar Product

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would use this on glass but not the actual paint/clearcoat of a vehicle ... Real clay is always going to do the job better but I understand that people want something that is more simple and fast but like you said "make sure you keep the soap lubed up on the paint" ... Using these synthetic clay bars and towels is how inexperienced people ruin their paint jobs within minutes ....
This is true on ruining paint, but in the professional world as you know its all a feel thing. We have excellent success with them on Everything from million dollar cars to your average pickup.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
This is true on ruining paint, but in the professional world as you know its all a feel thing. We have excellent success with them on Everything from million dollar cars to your average pickup.
I would only ever use synthetic clay on vehicles who's paint is almost already in perfect condition or has very little contaminants, on vehicles that have heavy contaminants "I" prefer real clay ...

While most of the synthetic clays are way less aggressive than the clays, you can still mar up the paint very quickly if there is a lot of contaminants on a vehicle, the reason clay is a lot better is because those contaminants embed themselves into the clay and on the synthetic clay they are floating around and if the person doing the claying is not careful and they don't rinse that towel enough they are going to seriously damage their paint ...

These towels are perfect for vehicles that are maintained on a weekly basis to prevent contaminant build up .....

But like you said @Treburkulosis it is a feel thing, I personally do not like using them and try not to ...

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would only ever use synthetic clay on vehicles who's paint is almost already in perfect condition or has very little contaminants, on vehicles that have heavy contaminants "I" prefer real clay ...

While most of the synthetic clays are way less aggressive than the clays, you can still mar up the paint very quickly if there is a lot of contaminants on a vehicle, the reason clay is a lot better is because those contaminants embed themselves into the clay and on the synthetic clay they are floating around and if the person doing the claying is not careful and they don't rinse that towel enough they are going to seriously damage their paint ...

These towels are perfect for vehicles that are maintained on a weekly basis to prevent contaminant build up .....

But like you said @Treburkulosis it is a feel thing, I personally do not like using them and try not to ...
Most everything we do gets a two step and then ceramic coated. Even the ones that dont that just want some gloss enhancement they do minimal anything and its nothing some A15 or Essence cant get out. We use clay as well, but usually only on something like for instance the 31 Caddy we have in the shop. I personally as fine as that specific one is, it does no more damage to the paint then a clay bar itself. No we have a yellow one and nope I would not use that one on paint. Its way too corse.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Most everything we do gets a two step and then ceramic coated. Even the ones that dont that just want some gloss enhancement they do minimal anything and its nothing some A15 or Essence cant get out. We use clay as well, but usually only on something like for instance the 31 Caddy we have in the shop. I personally as fine as that specific one is, it does no more damage to the paint then a clay bar itself. No we have a yellow one and nope I would not use that one on paint. Its way too corse.
Another thing I like about real clay is that you can actually see how bad a vehicle is, real clay not only removes debris but also buildup from waxes, road oil, tar, sapp a lot of other contaminants that synthetic bars can't and not even iron remover can't as well ..

I use the light blue, red and yellow bars myself the most ....A15 I used it a while back wont go back to it ... same thing with Essence, but I see that you like those CARPRO products which are fine but I don't use them too paint correct much ... Like many other things their compounds are way overpriced and the same thing that CARPRO does so can Meguiars, chemical guys, 3D and other products for way less.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another thing I like about real clay is that you can actually see how bad a vehicle is, real clay not only removes debris but also buildup from waxes, road oil, tar, sapp a lot of other contaminants that synthetic bars can't and not even iron remover can't as well ..

I use the light blue, red and yellow bars myself the most ....A15 I used it a while back wont go back to it ... same thing with Essence, but I see that you like those CARPRO products which are fine but I don't use them too paint correct much ... Like many other things their compounds are way overpriced and the same thing that CARPRO does so can Meguiars, chemical guys, 3D and other products for way less.
Nothing wrong with that. What ever works. We have everything from high end stuff to use and then I love using Awesome APC. Its some really great stuff to get scuffs and stains out of interior lol.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Nothing wrong with that. What ever works. We have everything from high end stuff to use and then I love using Awesome APC. Its some really great stuff to get scuffs and stains out of interior lol.
I have used Awesome lol ... good stuff right there no lie ...

But I am going to get some more A15 LOL !!! :bleh:

I can't deny that it's actually good stuff to use lol .... so I take it back that I wont go back to it haha!! I just hate ordering stuff and waiting for it to get delivered and no one around here has it lol

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have used Awesome lol ... good stuff right there no lie ...

But I am going to get some more A15 LOL !!! :bleh:

I can't deny that it's actually good stuff to use lol .... so I take it back that I wont go back to it haha!! I just hate ordering stuff and waiting for it to get delivered and no one around here has it lol
Im shop manager so thats part of my job lol. I get to love on some pretty awesome cars, but yeah its always fun trying to keep up with it all. A15 was used on this all original 33 rolls we just finished. It had such a cool story. A prince flipped it in 35 and died in it. It was sent back to Rolls Royce and rebuilt. His ex wife Barbara Hutton heiress to the 5 and dime fortune bought it for him. They toured Europe and America in it. Anyways off subject. Most of the car had to be hand polished. It does great!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 3.58.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 3.58.43 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 3.58.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 3.58.57 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Im shop manager so thats part of my job lol. I get to love on some pretty awesome cars, but yeah its always fun trying to keep up with it all. A15 was used on this all original 33 rolls we just finished. It had such a cool story. A prince flipped it in 35 and died in it. It was sent back to Rolls Royce and rebuilt. His ex wife Barbara Hutton heiress to the 5 and dime fortune bought it for him. They toured Europe and America in it. Anyways off subject. Most of the car had to be hand polished. It does great!
Crazy dude !!! I heard Alexis Mdivani the owner of that 33 was ran off the road because he was with another woman who was a Baroness ... Did you hear anything close that ?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Crazy dude !!! I heard Alexis Mdivani the owner of that 33 was ran off the road because he was with another woman who was a Baroness ... Did you hear anything close that ?
This is what I found. Such a crazy cool story.

We were told she sent it back to rebuilt. That was wrong. Read comment one.

Cool photos I found of it.

Attachments

• 16DE31FF-DBF1-4EB0-BEE1-ABF67357AC28.jpeg
    16DE31FF-DBF1-4EB0-BEE1-ABF67357AC28.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 8C8FE8DB-AF4D-4713-B374-C5FAD02B7910.jpeg
    8C8FE8DB-AF4D-4713-B374-C5FAD02B7910.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
This is what I found. Such a crazy cool story.

We were told she sent it back to rebuilt. That was wrong. Read comment one.

Cool photos I found of it.
Yeep ... Alexis's head was almost severed in that accident ...

The Mdivanis were the original Kardashians of Hollywood lol ... I know the car and the story because one of the owners of the wheel company I used to work for in the late 90s knew David Mdivani from his time in Oklahoma ...

Hutton had 7 husbands lol ... and she was an art and jewelry collector and when Alexis died in the car accident the Baroness Maud von Thyssen had some jewelry with her and it was lost and never seen again lol ..

But yes, very crazy cool story this is, I don't think his death was any accident at all ... small world !!!

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i'm almost finished my first spring detail after a long winter. complete interior detail with chemical guys detailer, invisible glass for the windows after some mothers water spot remover, outside rinse, foam cannon, meguiars clay pad, autoglym polish then a coat of meguiars ceramic. have a thunderstorm passing thru so i'm slurping a baileys and coffee while i wait. only at it for 5 hours so far. i'm not doing tires.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I detailed cars for my cousins dealership I always used a purple clay bar
At home I use the mothers kit
Can't tell any difference between the two

I also just use regular water rather then a spray detailer, wash the vehicle after with a wax based car wash and finish with a fresh coat of wax
Our water supply has heavy chlorination plus some ammonia. I wonder if that is good for using on a car's surfaces.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
a must have for my new garage will be a deionizing water system for washing my vehicles,boats and off road vehicles.the hard water at my place is ridiculous.i spend more time wiping off water than i do washing.epoxy floor and trusscore walls and ceiling so i can powerwash everything indoors.