Did I ruin my clearcoat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought some chrome wheel cleaner for the wheels, but there was bugs on my grill so I sprayed some on there and went inside.
I forgot about it, a day later I just washed it and this is how my front bumper looks.

I've tried to goo-gone it, some spray emblem adheasive, clay bar, spray detail wax, nothing is taking it away. Did it get through my clear coat?

When I slide a rag across it, it sticks, and if I push my finger down I can see my fingerprint, almost like its adhesive.

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Sorry for your BadLuck. IMO if its sticky there was a reaction that occured. I would let it dry out then try some Mothers Ultimate compound, if it does not work alone then you may have to sand it with watever grit the coumpound is good for (not sure maybe 1200). Try a small area to smooth out what you have (wet sand) and hit it with the compound to see if it defogs the paint. If not i would say you may need to respray the entire piece. Nothing to be embarrasssed about ***** happens* but you may need to consult a Proffessional BodyShop, and throw that Bug cleaner as far away as you Can.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I agree that there was a chemical reaction causing the clear to muck up. I had that happen to a badge I was painting when I applied clear coat to my black. It did the same thing to the black paint only worse then that.

OP
OP
ajent

ajent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will go to the store and try the sandpaper & compound, thanks for the replies.
I still need to take the truck back to dealer because there were a few spots scratched and paint defect they need to re-spray. Maybe they'll give me a deal on the front.

I took a credit card and tried to scrape a little bit & it went straight to the bumper, the paint came right off. lol :( I used "Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner"

It doesn't look like too big of a piece, hopefully it wont be that expensive to repaint.

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Sorry! Well if it went right thru when you did that, then it will need to be stripped down bare and redone, and save your money/skip on the sandpaper polish step.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
ouch..........sorry to see this!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh that sucks! Make sure whatever shop does it strips the area well. You don't want some of it left over, and bubbling through the new paint years later.

Btreat33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, sorry for your misfortune... keep us posted as to the cure...

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's no good at all, sucks having to try product after product with no fix, makes it even worse. Hopefully the wet sand works though!

But I know the feeling of screwing paint up though, one time I heated the paint up too much with a heat gun doing a debadging and bubbled the paint a little bit, killed me a little.

readster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 dodge ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree that there was a chemical reaction causing the clear to muck up. I had that happen to a badge I was painting when I applied clear coat to my black. It did the same thing to the black paint only worse then that.

had the same happen to me the clear did not like the paint i used on the back plate.turned out it gave it a good contrast to the blacks very lucky.sucks about your bumper
truckpic008.jpg
truckpic002.jpg