Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram General Forum > Detailing

Detailing

Engine Bay Cleaning

This is a discussion on Engine Bay Cleaning within the Detailing forums, part of the Dodge Ram General Forum category!
Hello all, I was hoping someone can give some tips on what can be done to clean up the engine ...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default Engine Bay Cleaning
Hello all,
I was hoping someone can give some tips on what can be done to clean up the engine bay. It seems there is some crud and dust and what not in there. I have a 2015 1500 and want to clean it out a bit. I have heard from some that you can just spray and run a hose in there but just need to cover the battery terminals and some other things... does anyone have any write-ups or tips besides going in there with a rag and going over inch by inch? Thanks in advance all!

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
NOcasio7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by NOcasio7 View Post
Hello all,
I was hoping someone can give some tips on what can be done to clean up the engine bay. It seems there is some crud and dust and what not in there. I have a 2015 1500 and want to clean it out a bit. I have heard from some that you can just spray and run a hose in there but just need to cover the battery terminals and some other things... does anyone have any write-ups or tips besides going in there with a rag and going over inch by inch? Thanks in advance all!
You are going to need a long handle brush, pressure washer or garden hose with adjustable nozzle. Some all purpose cleaner and a Vynol,rubber and plastic dressing. Spray the apc and let dwell for a bit with engine warm or cold. Agitate the areas that are heavily soiled and rinse. When you are satisfied with the cleanliness, use the VRP to dress the plastic and rubber after completely dry. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
bhonshell37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012 RCSB
Hello all,
I have always used a detailer spray and micro fiber cloth with good results... I usually detail mine after each wash. Once you get into that rhythm the subsequent cleanings are quick and easy because the detail leaves a film that repels dirt...
I use this for my engine bay, cheap and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-Shi...detailer+spray

Results below, Ram and Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
aenginebay2.jpg   aenginebay3.jpg   aenginebay4.jpg  

img_20160615_133628226_hdr.jpg   img_20160615_134124980_hdr.jpg  
LaramieLimited likes this.

Magnaflow 16869/ QTP Cutout - JBA headers - VaraRam AirGrabber - Hemifever tune - 180 tstat - BT catch can - Moe's 87mm TB - 4.10s LSD - Belltech 2/4 drop w/ QA1 shocks - Hellwig swaybars front/back - Sphon adj. panhard & up/low control arms - EBC rotors & pads - Audio: BMmkIV 12" Subs (2), H.A.T. L1Pro Tweeters & L3 Pro Mids & Dynaudio MW162 Woofers, Arc XDi 1200.6 & Skar SK1200.1d, PPI Deq8 DSP - www.moes-performance.com
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by bhonshell37 View Post
You are going to need a long handle brush, pressure washer or garden hose with adjustable nozzle. Some all purpose cleaner and a Vynol,rubber and plastic dressing. Spray the apc and let dwell for a bit with engine warm or cold. Agitate the areas that are heavily soiled and rinse. When you are satisfied with the cleanliness, use the VRP to dress the plastic and rubber after completely dry. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info! Do certain areas need to be covered? any certain products you recommend?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
I have always used a detailer spray and micro fiber cloth with good results... I usually detail mine after each wash. Once you get into that rhythm the subsequent cleanings are quick and easy because the detail leaves a film that repels dirt...
I use this for my engine bay, cheap and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-Shi...detailer+spray

Results below, Ram and Jeep.
WOW! That is beyond the results I had in my head. Great work! Do you recommend anything for the initial cleaning? I haven't done much in the bay for 30K miles but once the initial cleaning is done I will definitely be using the detailer and microfiber as you suggested.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: hemi 5.7
Do you want to get the engine bay cleaned right away or do you have time to research. If short on time, go to your favorite parts store and get some Purple power or citrus degreaser. Meguiars has a good rubber and plastic dressing you can buy at Walmart or parts stores. If you have time to research I suggest Autopia or Autogeek or Detailed Image. Each site is great. As for covering, cover what you do not want wet or sensitive electrical parts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
bhonshell37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by bhonshell37 View Post
Do you want to get the engine bay cleaned right away or do you have time to research. If short on time, go to your favorite parts store and get some Purple power or citrus degreaser. Meguiars has a good rubber and plastic dressing you can buy at Walmart or parts stores. If you have time to research I suggest Autopia or Autogeek or Detailed Image. Each site is great. As for covering, cover what you do not want wet or sensitive electrical parts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Well, the season hasn't been cooperating too well lately so I do have some time before I tackle this task so I will look into your recommendations. I just like to get what is needed ahead of time and the knowledge so that when the time comes I am more than prepped. Thank you again!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Personally I never let my engine bay get that bad. I take my truck to the car wash and I spray the engine compartment down every two weeks. If your motor is that bad go get your self some engine gunk and spray the motor down and go to a car wash and spray it down with a high-pressure hose. Motor will come out like new. If you didn't neglect it that bad. I have had cars that were over 10 years old and the motor compartment still look like new. Not too mention it you have a motor leak it is easy to find.

Last edited by Ferro; 01-10-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Ferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012 RCSB
WOW! That is beyond the results I had in my head. Great work! Do you recommend anything for the initial cleaning? I haven't done much in the bay for 30K miles but once the initial cleaning is done I will definitely be using the detailer and microfiber as you suggested.
Thanks. I would take a bucket of water and car wash soap and give it a good wash... Thereafter the detailer will do the job.

Magnaflow 16869/ QTP Cutout - JBA headers - VaraRam AirGrabber - Hemifever tune - 180 tstat - BT catch can - Moe's 87mm TB - 4.10s LSD - Belltech 2/4 drop w/ QA1 shocks - Hellwig swaybars front/back - Sphon adj. panhard & up/low control arms - EBC rotors & pads - Audio: BMmkIV 12" Subs (2), H.A.T. L1Pro Tweeters & L3 Pro Mids & Dynaudio MW162 Woofers, Arc XDi 1200.6 & Skar SK1200.1d, PPI Deq8 DSP - www.moes-performance.com
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Yup pretty much what everyone said. I used all purpose cleaner and cover anything major electrical like computers etc. Keep in mind, most modern engine bays are weather proof but never bad to be cautious. If you have an engine cover, remove it and clean outside the truck and you'll be able to clean the intake manifold. Also I clean from underneath as well cause when you're rinsing all the shit off the top it goes somewhere. I don't like using dressing but there are some new ones that don't leave a residue or film and won't allow dirt to stick.
Andrew09HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote