Ex Detailer Needs Your Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

Like the title says, I detailed for 8 years up until about two years ago. I had my favorite venders that sold me my favorite chemicals, pads, and other supplies. Clearly labeled, no sales pitch on the bottle, worked as they should. New stuff came out, I got free samples to try before committing money, etc etc.

It was simple, and before I left I bought a healthy supply of my favorites for my personal vehicles.

Now I'm out and there is a new to me rcsb outdoorsman in my driveway that got the quick and dirty from the stealership "detailers". I managed to find my clay bars at an auto body shop but I'm SOL with waxes/polishes etc.

Right off the bat is there anywhere I can get phosfloric acid?

What is a good water based dressing that I can use for the motor without it being greasy? The stuff I used left an almost matte finish that didn't attract dirt or leave your hands greasy.

What about a silicone based non aerosol dressing?

I used spray wax as a clay bar lubricant, is the spray wax on the store shelves the same or do I need to be looking at something else?

Lastly, and this is a big one, wax. I cannot believe how many waxes have labels entirely covered with print that do not have one word about what is actually inside the bottle.

I've been doing some reading here and came across this:

I would check out the Menzerna 4500 finish (non cut) polish, or Optimum Finish polish, followed by Optimum Opti Seal, followed by Chemical guys Lava wax. I would always reach for 845, but on the Cherry paint work Lava makes the pearl pop.
Might seem like a lot of $$$, but you use way less product and achieve way better results.

BDE154FB-F80A-4E05-8A9E-F2828B163CB8_zpsbjqipqur.jpg

Hard to get a good pic of the pearl, best shot I could get.

IMG_2094_zps3b7bbe1d.jpg

I can't really argue with those results but before I start hitting the buy buttons, what is the shelf life of this stuff? Where is the best place to buy?

Also, I might have to do some wet sanding/cutting on a spot on the bumper. What do you all recommend?

Sorry for the long post

Thanks,
Ryan

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Ram and my 94 Suburban that I bought off my father's estate after a 22hr detail-a-thon

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413671627530.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413671627530.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413671647976.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413671647976.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 41
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413671758454.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413671758454.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 34
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413671771644.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413671771644.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 32

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
where do you live Ryan. ive got some good vendor contacts depending on where you are.

as for an engine dressing, Sonus trim and motor kote.

hoamskilet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a look at getting some optimum no rinse or UWW+....depending on dilution ratios they can be used as a rinseless wash, clay lube, and quick detailer and do a great job at all 3

jayincali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice pics OP LOL.

The product you questioned that I wrote about last quite a while. I have had the old Menzerna line for probably 3-4 years, I still have some Poor Boy SSR line that is 5+ years. It might separate a bit, but a good shake and it's back to new again. I did hand off the old Menzerna and SSR 2 to a buddy because I wanted the new Menzerna stuff.

If you want a 1-stop shop I would look at auto geek (dot) net, they have everything under the sun and then some. I also use Chemical Guys (can be found at Auto Geek as well) for their V07 detail spray, that stuff is just awesome.

To name a few products I use
Menzerna Polish
Optimum Hyper Spray polish
Optimum Hyper Spray Compound
Optimum Opti Coat or Opti Seal (difference is Seal will last a year or more, Coat will last several years/Permanent)
Chem Guys Blacklight Glaze/protectant
Chem Guys V Line Polish
Chem Guys hybrid V07 Detail spray
Klasse
Collinite 845 Wax

I just washed the truck this past Saturday. It is sealed with Opti seal, so just 2 bucket wash, leaf blower dry (yea a leaf blower LOL), and V07 final wipe. This is how it looks afterwards.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought you'd like those pics lol.

Unfortunately, the temps dropped quick and now bow season is upon us. So other than a few hand washes , it has been untouched. I also do not have a heated shop any more. It has been driving me nuts. I can see what that red will look like with some tlc and it's Purdy.

How are you applying these coats? (hand, Da, orbital)

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also have you done any standing before using these chemicals?

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any wet sanding i mean.

I'll check it out DK

jayincali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm using a DA polisher. I would hold off on the wet sanding until trying to buff the bumper out. What's going on with the bumper? You can try some micfo fiber polishing pads, those work pretty well at cutting.

I have not wet sanded this finish, though I would like to due to the free factory provided orange peel. I just hate to wet sand the factory finish. If you need to level some spots, I would check out the MF polishing pads, I know Chemical guys has a great set as well as Megs.

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
before you wetsand, check out carpro velvet and denim pads for orange peel. similar to sanding, but not quite as aggressive in my opinion.

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if there are any spots that need to be wet sanded yet. But I haven't clayed it yet, I've seen some sketchy dealership waxes hide some stuff. As far as the far bumper goes there is a dime sized spot where the po scraped it up against something, through the clear and paint. Not sure if I want to try to build it back up by hand or leave it and keep my eyes open for a charcoal sport bumper.

It's 10 degrees outside before the wind chill factor, I either need to hang on till spring or see if somebody with a heated shop and a water hookup will trade time for beer. It would be nice to have my chemicals, pads, brushes, etc lined up.

I've got everything but compounds, waxes, and pads. So I'd like to get it all at once.