First major wash & detailed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well it was gorgeous out today and I finally got in everything I ordered from chemical guys. I started out with the foam gun and the citrus wash and gloss. Laid the thickest amount of soap down that I could and then did a 2 bucket style wash with the microfiber mitt.

Drove it into the sun to dry a bit before hand blotting with microfiber towels. Left it in the sun while I clay barred the truck with the OG claybar. Amazing how smooth it made the truck. I used almost all of the clay lube but NEVER dropped any clay so I'll probably just pick up more lube for the next time. I didn't trust my self so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of lube on it.

Wiped it all down with the happy endings towels and then did went after a few minor scratches with the VSS scratch and swirl remover, I think I need something slightly more aggressive but it did take care of some very minor ones.

I then moved it back into the shade and applied a coat of black light polish to the entire truck, WOW!. Followed that up by jet seal, and finally *** carnauba wax. The entire process took about 4 hours and I am exhausted. I think I'll be getting a DA polisher soon!

The results are fantastic though. Each step the truck just looked better and better. I highly recommend chemical guys, I've always been a fan of washing my own vehicles but never have I done this extensive of a detail.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First major wash & detailed

I did my girlfriends car when I first got my detailing stuff. Took me 8 hours. Foam gun citrus soap and 2 bucket scrub to remove existing wax and particles followed by a full clay baring with a layer of cutting polish followed by 2 layers of finishing polish followed by jet seal followed by carnauba wax. By the way with the citrus soap from them I could watch the old wax and stuff just melt off while I washed. Look for a combo kit. When I bought my DA polisher they had a deal going with the cutting and finishing polishes. You should post pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks guys! I bought the combo kit with the foam gun and then started seeing more and more of their stuff (i think it was 4 orders in total). I'm thinking of ordering V36 and V38, found them as a kit. The citrus soap is awesome, really impressive stuff. The kit also came with the honeydew snow foam which seems like it is the best option for in between detailing washes.

I'd love to be able to do touchless washes frequently (once a week maybe?) with the honeydew since that seems to be the favorite way to use it BUT what's the best \ safest method for drying?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea my foam gun came with the honeydew. Stuffs awesome. I use a giant microfiber towel for drying. Might buy a leaf blower though. My da polisher came with 3 pads and v32, v34, v36, and v38. I have a meqguiars detail spray and a microfiber cloth I keep in my truck for quick hand cleaning when it needs it during the week

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a brand called Killerwaxx. Been using them for almost 10 years now. Best I've ever used ever!

Back on topic, but this will be my lineup the next 2 day weekend I have that it's good weather to do something with.

IMG_20170418_185317384_zpspvlr1k6x.jpg

Killerwaxx Gorilla foam wash
Meguiars clay bar
Killerwaxx Ooze degreaser under hood
Killerwaxx Pink winder watersports remover
Killerwaxx Paint Sealant polisher
Killerwaxx Purple Glaze polisher
Killerwaxx Extremely Wet polisher
Killerwaxx Paste Wax
Killerwaxx Metal Polish
Coverall tire shine
Killerwaxx Window Cleaner

Vacuum interior
Meguiars Supreme Shine

Gonna be a long day.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why do you prefer KillerWax to other brands?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ramittome nice! Hope you can get a good weather weekend soon. There are so many brands out there I kept seeing chemical guys so I decided to go with it. I am a big fan though of sticking with a company. Find one that has good reviews, has the products, and purchase your entire "kit" from them.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm getting ready to do a total paint correction on mine, the packages started coming in today. Now I just have to find time.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm getting ready to do a total paint correction on mine, the packages started coming in today. Now I just have to find time.

It's exciting to get everything in. I'm thinking about picking up a rolling cart from harbor freight to store everything on and to use while washing and detailing. Was annoying finding somewhere to safely place towels and applicators and bottles all the time.

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why do you prefer KillerWax to other brands?

Came across them in my Scion show car days, and never looked back. Can make a car shine in the dark, and that's no lie. Had went to a car show one weekend and it was in a parking garage on a cloudy day, and I was one of the few cars there shining it's butt off! Had people passing my car all day long asking me what the hell I used to clean it to make it look that good. Lol! I just really like them.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Came across them in my Scion show car days, and never looked back. Can make a car shine in the dark, and that's no lie. Had went to a car show one weekend and it was in a parking garage on a cloudy day, and I was one of the few cars there shining it's butt off! Had people passing my car all day long asking me what the hell I used to clean it to make it look that good. Lol! I just really like them.
Who carries KillerWax?

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've probably watched 3 hours worth of chemical guys videos on what to do. I have a lot f those swirls and wash scratches. I purchased the Torque 10FX to hopefully make the process easier.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will do some research on this site

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the perfect thread for those people who say " My truck is brand new, why do I have to clay bar it and put polish and wax on it"? Sometimes I'd like to say, "You don't have to, it's your truck. Why don't you just drive it through a car wash once a week and you'll be good!"---I guess I just can't bring myself to say that though.
Jay

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's exciting to get everything in. I'm thinking about picking up a rolling cart from harbor freight to store everything on and to use while washing and detailing. Was annoying finding somewhere to safely place towels and applicators and bottles all the time.

I got this off of Amazon for pretty cheap and it's perfect to put all my supplies.

6b976b0a57ea5e1c0acf485fa4505cf5.jpg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You better put a trailer hitch on that one for the next one you buy to carry all the other stuff you're eventually going to buy. You just got started---it's a disease. :naughty::naughty:
Jay

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Jay it was funny I had posted a bunch of pictures online and a few of my friends were dumbfounded that I spent so much time on a new vehicle. Today my boss who said "but its going to rain this week" was SHOCKED when he touched my truck and his hand glided right over it. He walked over to his dust covered ram and it was hilarious to watch his reaction.

Is it true that wax doesn't last very long? At most typically only a few weeks? Is it possible to apply wax with a DA on the slowest setting or is it really only advisable to do it by hand?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your correct about how long wax lasts. 3 maybe 4 weeks at the most depending on whether it's garage kept and depending on the number of times you wash it. I try to put a good sealant on first, as they usually last about 6 months, and then top it with a good wax for added protection and it also gives a little more "pop" . Have your boss do the "baggie" test on his paint and see what he says. Tell him after he washes and dries his truck, get a zip lock bag and put his hand in it and rub the surface of his truck. That should show him how "clean" the surface is. It's also a good way to tell if you need to clay bar. You can use a DA to apply your sealant/wax if you like. I usually do it by hand but either way is fine. I always wipe if off by hand though. Although I have never used the products you are using, it appears that they are doing a great job for you!!!!
Jay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01