First timer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,
I just bought my first truck...a black 2012 Ram 1500 sport

I love it!

Now just need some advice on how keep it looking awesome!
My SUVs before I just did typical wash and wax every once in a while, but I want to keep this truck looking beautiful.
So would just like to know what is a good wash and wax to get?
Also advice on how...some details on day of wash...how often do I wax? Should I put any extra stuff on the paint?
What is a clay bar? Just heard of this how do I use it?
And polishing with a buffer, should I?
So maybe some step by step on what you guys do on a wash day and a wash and wax day?
Thanks everyone...hope it isn't a pain in the butt question, it's just that I want to keep this new truck looking good!

Thank you

SOC RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If You Don't Have Any Experience With A Buffer, Don't Try To Get It On A
Black Truck!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I just recently caught the detailing bug again after being sick of it from doing it at a dealership for 3 years
Microfiber everything, wash mit, sponge, rags you name it
I like to wash, clay bar, another quick wash followed by a good wax (supposed to every 6 months but with our weather its usually spring and fall here)
Claybar is really simple, I started I thread about it trying to show the before and after but i haven't been on a computer since I posted it and don't even know if you can tell a difference lol, there is also a little bit on actually doing it, if you can wax a truck you can clay bar! http://www.ramforum.com/f7/claybar-17935/

Between wax I like to use a car wash with carnuba wax in it, a good wash, dry with a chamoise and then go over it with a instant detailed/quick spray wax
Im picky about tire/trim dressing but couldn't really recomend you one, I picked up a bottle of Lucas oil Slick mist to give a try

Interior, can't go wrong with armor all products

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Keep it clean, use good products (Mothers, Meguiars, etc...) clay bar it at least once a year. If you have leather inside, clean and condition it twice a year.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just recently caught the detailing bug again after being sick of it from doing it at a dealership for 3 years
Microfiber everything, wash mit, sponge, rags you name it
I like to wash, clay bar, another quick wash followed by a good wax (supposed to every 6 months but with our weather its usually spring and fall here)
Claybar is really simple, I started I thread about it trying to show the before and after but i haven't been on a computer since I posted it and don't even know if you can tell a difference lol, there is also a little bit on actually doing it, if you can wax a truck you can clay bar! http://www.ramforum.com/f7/claybar-17935/

Between wax I like to use a car wash with carnuba wax in it, a good wash, dry with a chamoise and then go over it with a instant detailed/quick spray wax
Im picky about tire/trim dressing but couldn't really recomend you one, I picked up a bottle of Lucas oil Slick mist to give a try

Interior, can't go wrong with armor all products

The only Armor All product I use is their interior cleaning wipes. Since I discovered Mother's Preservatives Protectant I will never go back to using Armor All on my interior. Armor All IMO is too greasy and if you overspray it on some plastics by accident it smears and looks like crap. Mother's leaves more of a matte finish, that looks nice but at the same time it's not overly greasy. It also smells awesome.

As far as interior goes I like to wipe everything down with Armor All Interior Cleaning Wipes then I like to follow up with Mother's Protectant for the dash, plastic trim, and the vinyl cover on my fold down console. I use Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipes on the gauge cluster, the rearview mirror, and the screens for my Mygig and Satellite Radio adapter. I've found that these wipes clean these kinds of surfaces superbly and leave no residue. I use Auto Febreeze to freshen up the smell of the interior.

For glass I use Invisible Glass, I've found it to be the best glass cleaner, I much prefer it over Auto Windex and other glass cleaning products. I also use softer shop towels to wipe the glass down as they don't tend to leave residue like a normal paper towel does.

As far as the exterior goes I've had good results waxing with Nu Finish. Sadly my garden hose is in need of repair so I usually take my truck to the car wash for a basic wash to get dirt, grime, etc... off then I dry with microfiber towels, and follow that up with Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer Spray. I did claybar my truck earlier this year in the spring with amazing results. I used Mother's California Gold Claybar Kit and it looked awesome afterward. For my tires I use Meguiar's Endurance Tire Spray, and for my chrome I use Mother's Chrome Polish. I also use the Mother's Protectant spray on my tonneau cover to give it a clean look and to help protect it from the sun.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: