Gas or electric power washer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
which do you prefer, and why? My last one kicked the bucket so I need a new one. I wouldn't bother getting another because I prefer to hand wash my truck with soap and microfiber cloths to get it really clean but I still need one to power mud etc off of my ATV

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I've always bought gas for portability, but they're high maintenance if you don't use them a lot and don't store properly. I bought an electric on sale for $120 I think, it's 1800 PSI and does everything I need, won't blow the paint off either.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a gas powered but I use it more around the outside of the house than I do on the truck. Gas is more of a pain in the ass to store properly over the winter or long periods of not using it.
Jay

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
I work at a golf course and we use our gas power washing probably 15 times a day. The stupid thing breaks all the time and I wish we would switch to an electric one, a guy came and gave us a quote to install one and said they were a lot more reliable

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Gas no question simply because of the higher pressure. I use mine on my truck year round to give it a good rinse before washing during the winter and to clean the undercarriage year round. Not to mention is far more useful around the house for cleaning concrete, siding, wood, etc.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Gas no question simply because of the higher pressure. I use mine on my truck year round to give it a good rinse before washing during the winter and to clean the undercarriage year round. Not to mention is far more useful around the house for cleaning concrete, siding, wood, etc.

Hell, no, do you have a regulator on it? You'll take the paint right off if you get to close.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Hell, no, do you have a regulator on it? You'll take the paint right off if you get to close.

I use a very wide angle nozzle when using it on the truck so it doesn't concentrate a lot of pressure into one specific area and then just stay far enough away from the paint. No issues at all on any of the vehicles we use it on.

If a pressure washer is taking paint off then the paint is the problem, not the pressure washer. It's time for new paint.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
If a pressure washer is taking paint off then the paint is the problem, not the pressure washer. It's time for new paint.

I guess I can agree with you there, I've heard from folks that the 4th gen paint isn't very good (to an extent). They say that in certain sunlight angles you can see bare metal.

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a powerful electric pressure washer. I previously had a gas pressure washer but I didn't use it all that often and even though I maintained it (to a certain extent) it kicked the bucket much sooner than it should have. I recently bought a 2300? psi electric model and it has plenty of power to clean my siding, deck, sidewalks, etc.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
My son works at a pressure washer store.He repairs ALL kinds of pw's, heated, unheated, gas, electric, big & small. He says the money is in the pump construction, and the system bypass/unloader. Generally, you get what you pay for. His favorite brand is Mi-T-M. I had never heard of it, either. They're usually superior in terms of design, material, and durability. The clincher for him is the ease of service/repair. He showed me their small portable, bought mostly by professional detailers. It was about 1-1/2' long, and about 9" square, maybe 25#'s. Built like a little brick $hithouse. I can see why the detailers like it. Maybe one of these days I'll get one for Xmas or a b-day present. Are you getting all of this, my favorite son?

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a small electric one that I purchased used for $40 a few years ago and it has been working fine for me , no need to spend more cash . I mostly clean dirt bikes with it but every now and then I do hit the truck with it.

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is good info, been wanting one for a long time.

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I been racing motocross since I was a teenager. I prefer gas for cleaning my bikes and pops ATV because the electric one that I tried out just didn't have the power to get the caked up mud off.

JaredRAM2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I bought a walmart chinese el cheapo special, gas powered. Damn things cleans off the brick and concrete around the house. It also does a good job of cleaning all the equipment and cars. Had it a few years now, still cranks on a pull or two and runs strong, no leaks.