Help removing scratches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

!natron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently invested in a Porter Cable 7424 polisher and the Chemical Guys Series of Polishes (V32-V38). I have both the orange and yellow hex logic bads. My Ram is Black so I wanted to be proactive with removing scratches and swirls. I don't have a lot of scratches just light spider webbing. For some reason I cannot get the light spider webs out. I started with the orange bad and V36 and I have went down to the yellow bad and V32 and they are still there. I am not sure what I have been doing wrong. I watched most of their videos and and tried to replicate what they are doing. Am I not using enough polish? Could I being going too fast? Any input would be appreciated.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pictures of what you are working with(the scratches and swirls) would help a lot. Also have you watched the u tube with Mike Phillips at the web site autogeek? I don't have any experience working with the products you are using, except for the Porter Cable.
Jay

OP
OP
N

!natron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info. I just watched the videos. The only thing I can see is maybe I am not using enough pressure. What product do you use? Maybe I will give them a try.

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's very possible you are moving too fast or your compound isn't doing the job as intended. What sort of sections are you using and how much product are you applying to the pad?

To give you an idea of how I use my PC, I work in 18" x 18" square. Pad is primed and 4 pea size drop of product on the pad. Each pass takes me roughly 10 seconds to travel 18" and move down. Then back another 18" and 10 second. Has yielded my good results with M101 and an orange hex pad.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^^ He knows what he is talking about. He gives excellent advise and is also an excellent detailer!!!!!!! One thing you should always remember is always use the LEAST agressive solution first. If the results are not what you are satisfied with you can always go to a more agressive product.
Jay

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If they are still there, you're either not using enough polish and/or your pressure isn't heavy enough.

I understand you don't want to burn through the paint, with time that pressure and know how comes.

I've painted and then cut and buff a lot of cars in my day. The know how comes with experience. You can work with the less aggressive pad and more aggressive compound and keep at it. Spray water on it as well from a water bottle to help cool.

OP
OP
N

!natron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their advice and ideas. Do you think the product would make any difference? I know everybody has their favorites but is there one that is better for a newbie?