How do I get this off? And need cleaning suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use this but it has only been used like 2 weeks ago wiping down the truck with water before the car wash since the truck hadn't been washed in 3-4 months. But I would do a body panel from top to bottom and then I would spray it pointing down so hopefully the contaminants would run out with the water. And then I used it today wiping down the passenger side bedside before clay bar
-9476-4765-9321-E6C79E08FE78-1763-00000162D3415417.jpg

But got the claybar done on the passenger side bedside and there was definitely something sticky on it cause even with the detailer and water sprayed on for lubricant it would stick to the body and would leave a white residue so I had to keep the water running on the bedside to get through those areas. And I had to use a lot of elbow grease for the stickiness to come off. I'll see if it removed the black stuff when the truck dries

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When your done clay barring your truck, get a cheapo zip lock bag and put your hand inside it and run your hand over the paint. It should be really smooth and you shouldn't be able to feel anything on the paint. Check for any small scratches the clay bar might have left and if so, you will have to use a good polish on the surface to remove the scratches. Then you can apply a good sealant, then top it off with a good wax. That should last you for about 6 months before you need to re-wax it. Inbetween times just use a spray detailer after each wash and it will continue to look good until the next wax. I think you will be more than satisfied with the results if you just spend the time to begin with getting a good base on the surface. It sounds like a lot of work but in reality you can probably do it in about 6 hours, depending on the number of breaks and beers.
Jay

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn guess I have a lot of work to do. I'll check out those sites and see what's recommended to do all that and then find something to protect the chrome mirrors, wheel covers, and bumper(hopefully bumpers soon lol)

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow car detailing stuff is super expensive! I think I'll just stick to the laserwash

But do you guys think the black stuff could be from rednecks rolling coal? Cause we have a local meet and recently they have seen my club and our sister club next to us which are a bunch of trucks and they park by us with their redneck trucks(I'm not even kidding about the redneck part, like it's bad) and start rolling coal to be "cool" I guess. But could it be that?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you ever get down toward Austin, I'd be glad to take a look at your truck to see what you have on the surface thats giving you such a hard time. Let me know and I'll meet you somewhere.
Your right about some of the detail products, they can be a little on the expensive side, however most of them last a long time. You use a lot less material when you use some of those products as apposed to products you buy at a big box store. Using the sealants and wax, the less you use the better off you are. I'll bring some of the products I use so you can take a look at them.
Jay

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was talking to my mom about it and she said it might be a good idea to take it to a detailing company to get everything done at least the first time, does that sound like a good idea?

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So I was talking to my mom about it and she said it might be a good idea to take it to a detailing company to get everything done at least the first time, does that sound like a good idea?

some people do that, they let the detailers do the hard work, and then you just maintain it

The products are expensive, especially if you go past the autozone stuff, like mequires and stuff, look at wolfgang sealents and ****, like 40 bucks haha

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha yeah that's for sure. Their claybar kit is like $60! :O

But yeah I think I'll go professional at first and then go back every year but maintain it with what they recommend in between. Definitely gotta get it done soon though, just wiped a little bit of the wheel cover between the spokes and my finger tip was pure black. And I just installed them a week or so ago. Talk about a lot of brake dust

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can find a good detailer up there that might be an option, just get references and go look at some of their work first.

Codes--You can laugh at the price if you want however Wolfgang products will probably out last your big box store products about 10 to 1, and they will protect my truck at least 6 months or longer. There is a good reason that professional detailers use products like Wolfgang and other products like it. However based on your extensive detailer experience and knowledge I'm sure your choice of products is quite sufficient for your purposes.

I'm just making suggestions based on my experience, if you find something that you like better, or you think will work better for your circumstances then by all means go for it--thats why they make many many different products in many many different price ranges. Each manufacture knows the worth of their own product!
Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate your advice very much! It's good to get advice from people that know they're stuff and not just ones that think they do. And yeah I'm looking for ones in the Austin area that do high end cars since they would probably have better skills and quality control than a company that does average grocery getters everyday

This is a list I came up with from reading the detailing tips and tricks area on autogeek
-E76C-4B67-AB3A-F29B039950E5-1839-000001BACA9796EF.jpg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is someone here in Bastrop that I would recommend. I have seen his work and I think he does an excellent job and his prices are reasonable. Let me know if you would like me to contact him.
Jay

2011 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can certainly use all of the products mentioned, however, for hard water spots, I use simple vinegar. It removes all scale, and for other unknown spots, try a product named "Goo Gone".

Goo Gone is citrus based, and gentle on paint and other finishes. Goo Gone will remove sticky substances and is a somewhat simple cleanup.

Good Luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio