how often are you guys and gals buffing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wash my truck about once a wk and wax once or twice a month. I use compound on it about once every two months if not more. Today while workin on a scratch with some meguires ultimate compound when finished i was like damn now i gotta buff the whole truck. I was surprised at the oxidation i had buffed off while workin on the scratch. Isnt using compound to often a bad thing? Doesnt seem like that would be to good for the clearcoat. Plus you gotta wax after cuz your buffing it all off. Granted my paint is 10yrs old and i am not using a real aggresive compound and just a cheap da buffer but shouldnt twice or even three times a yr be enough?

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes you can buff too much. Your clear coat is only so thick, at some point you will reach clear coat failure. The only way to know for sure is with a paint thickness gauge. I am by no means an expert on the matter.
Good luck and keep it pertty.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would tend to argue that once a year is too often personally.

A good clay bar'n should accomplish the removal of oxidation etc without the potential damage to the clear. Especially getting to be 10 years old.

That being said, I am in no way an expert!

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
i buff when it needs it BUT when i buff i use the least aggressive method first and see if that corrects my issue. im not gonna grab a "bottle of rocks" for simple light swirl marks

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree. Always use the least abrasive product first to see if that corrects your problem. After you have completed any correction, you can use a good sealant(Wolfgang 3.0 is good) on your paint and then top it with a good wax(Collinite 845 is good). After you complete this you should only have to wash your truck and then use a spray detailer on it for about the next 6 month before you need to put another coat of wax on it. I'm not an expert either--just tried a lot of different stuff and had a few successes and learned from a few mistakes.
Jay

Red 2012 Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just like everyone else had said I'm no expert but sounds like you may be waxing too much. Had a body shop guy tell me 2 or 3 times a year is plenty to wax. He told me you can wax too much and the paint won't "breath" and actually look worse than not waxing that often. I can't tell you from personal experience because I'm lucky to have the time to wax the 2 or 3 times a year.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Usually once every two years...unless I get into something that needs to be removed out of the paint or I scratch it up.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put a sealant on and then wax about every 6 weeks and use the sealant every 6 month. I've never had a problem with "to much wax"--ever. IMHO you can only have problems when you don't seal or wax enough.
Jay