List of Products to buy to fix neglect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Hi all, little history on the truck got it in may, washed a couple times with meguires and 2 bucket method. Did 1 coat of meguires polish but havnt done anything else. Ill list the stuff I have, but what products/method would you recommend to fix the neglect that I have given the truck. THanks :)

Products I have:
Adams Detail Spray
Adams Wheel Cleaner
Adams Glass Cleaner
Adams Interior Detail Spray
Meguires Gold Soap
Turtle Wax Paste Wax
Assorted Cheap-o microfiber towels
Porter Cable 7424XP

What GSM Microfiber towels should I use for each step? I was looking at the microfiber towels from the Rag Company Also. Any tips on what order to do things in would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of it depends on the current condition of your paint. It's sorta hard to give you a list without knowing. Can you post a picture? What are your expectations? How do you use your truck--daily driver, do you do a lot of 4 wheeling off road, do you park outside or inside, how much time and elbow grease are you willing to spend, how often will you wash your truck every week or-----, do you have hard water. All this makes a difference in the type of products and whether you can use OTC products from Walmart or a parts store or maybe you should use some professional products which seem to work better and last longer-----see what you started???? LOL
Jay

OP
OP
C

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
A lot of it depends on the current condition of your paint. It's sorta hard to give you a list without knowing. Can you post a picture? What are your expectations? How do you use your truck--daily driver, do you do a lot of 4 wheeling off road, do you park outside or inside, how much time and elbow grease are you willing to spend, how often will you wash your truck every week or-----, do you have hard water. All this makes a difference in the type of products and whether you can use OTC products from Walmart or a parts store or maybe you should use some professional products which seem to work better and last longer-----see what you started???? LOL
Jay

Ill post a sun picture tomorrow. Its a daily driver that gets driven 60mi/day, and will go on dirt roads 2 days a week. It gets parked outside, and I try to wash it every week or every other. Ill spend the time to make it look nice. Water is hard, but Im looking at getting a Deionizer so I dont have to dry the truck after. Im not really a fan of OTC products as they dont really do much more then being easy to get. Im willing to put some money into it to make it look nice.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One place you can start to check out products is autogeek. They sell all types and brands of professional detail products. They also have a ton of Utube how to's to show how some of their products should be used. Next I would suggest to take a look at autopia. It is a world wide free professional detailer site where detailers talk about products they use and talk about the results they get and they post pictures. They will also answer questions about specific products. Some of the basic products that I would recommend(w/o using brand names) are:
1. good car wash soap
2. Microfiber wash mit
3. A couple of buckets with a grit guard
4. Clay bar or a Nano towel or Nano sponge
5. Good polish
6. Good sealant
7. Good wax
8 Plenty of different types of buffer pads(you already have an excellent buffer)
9. Lots of good microfiber towels(for drying and polish and sealant and wax removal and for windows.
This is a good start and not all inclusive by any means. I'm sure others will add to the list. Everyone has their favorite brand, I see you have a lot of Adam's brand and if it works for you, continue to use it. Remember there is only one person you have to satisfy----and that's YOU. Favorite brands is just like your favorite beer----everyone has their own favorite which is the best!!!! If you have any specific questions there is lots of guys that will be willing to help, although just like any forum, some of the info is better than others.
Jay

OP
OP
C

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I will probably be splitting my order between autogeek, adams and rag company. I love adams products, but their Microfiber prices seem too high for me. Will probably end up getting the pads from autogeek and all the microfiber from rag company.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please remember that a good sealant will last about 6 months whereas a good wax will only protect for a couple of weeks. I put a sealant on first, let it cure for 24 hours and then put a good wax on top of it for added protection and it gives the sealant more depth. I also use a Spray Wax after every wash and I even put about a 3/4 cup of the spray wax in the wash water with the soap. It adds protection on a weekly basis. Try to get a couple of things from Autogeek at the same time, I think that their shipping is a little high.
Jay

OP
OP
C

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
How likely am I to burn through the clear coat with the polisher?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the buffer you have you shouldn't have to worry about it at all.
Jay

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I will probably be splitting my order between autogeek, adams and rag company. I love adams products, but their Microfiber prices seem too high for me. Will probably end up getting the pads from autogeek and all the microfiber from rag company.

Adam's products = win

Rag Company or MicroTech = win

Autogeek = ok

Meguire's thru Buffdaddy.com = win!!

Neverenuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Microfiber polishing and finishing pads for your DA, Optimum Spray Compound and Polish is some of the best. Like Meguiar's 101/105 without the dust. DG Aquawax , ONR for a quick detailer

OP
OP
C

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
So what does everyone think of these items to start with? change anything for something else?
qtzLk1v.png
lqqs6DJ.png
P5vtocb.png

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holly ****--you must have got your tax refund----LOL
Jay

OP
OP
C

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Holly ****--you must have got your tax refund----LOL

Jay

Yup haha. Finally nice enough outside to start working on it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Add some Opti Spray Wax to your list from Autogeek. You can use it as a weekly wax after you wash and you can even add a little to your wash bucket and use it when you wash your truck. It's some of the easiest wax to use I have found and last longer than a lot of wax on the market. Gives a slick finish and adds a lot of depth to your paint.
Jay

OP
OP
C

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
So just trying to plan out how im gonna do this.

Wash Wheels
Wash body w/ 2 bucket method
Clay w/detail spray
dry
M105 w/da
M205 w/da
wipedown
Wax w/ #845

Seem like a good plan of attack?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd do a sealant before the wax, but that's just me--take a look at Wolfgang 3.0 sealant and see what you think. Kinda pricey but a little bit goes a long long way.
Jay

OP
OP
C

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
So I tried doing a test spot today on one of the sides of the hood. Clayed it, dried it, used meguiars compound, then #7, and finished it off with some carnuba wax. All done by hand. Looked good in the garage but we will see when it stops snowing outside.

OP
OP
C

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Who Cant pass up a good sale? I know what im doing next week :buffer:
oiDBVvn.png
2ffSJw9.png
AiBrHVw.png

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that you may have caught the bug---you'll really like the comments and thumbs up you will get because your truck looks so good. Don't forget to include a couple of 6er's with all your other supplies.---LOL
Jay

OP
OP
C

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I think that you may have caught the bug---you'll really like the comments and thumbs up you will get because your truck looks so good. Don't forget to include a couple of 6er's with all your other supplies.---LOL

Jay

Gonna take a lot to get it clean. Truck is a mess right now. Any idea what I can use to strip everything off the paint so I have a clean slate?