Made a boo boo and my bumper paid for it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

le_butters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Bluetooth does not give you the ability to drive. I was having a heated debate with a family member and was back out of the stall at the grocery store.

You guessed it. Made contact with a vehicle. I just hear a horn honk and I look behind me and a guy is getting out of his honda. I get out and couldn't see any damage to his vehilce. I didn't even feel any thing when we touched.

I asked him if I had hit him when a witness pointed to my bumper. That's when I knew I had messed up. we traded paint for sure. Didn't look bad but we did make contact. His black honda showed no signs of damage. But I had scratch marks on my bumper.

Wasn't enough for insurance to get involved, I have enough money set aside for emergencies like this. I told him I would meet him at the auto shop tomorrow and I would pay for the damage. He said doesn't look like any but he appreciated it. Told him if there was no damage I would pay for a good wash and wax. He happily agreed. I did forget to take pictures of his quarter pannel (hope the old man doesn't make me pay for that if he messes it up more)

My damage I'm not sure about. I don't know how deep the scratch is. Any suggestions on what I should do. I washed the area and this is what's left.

Attachments

• 20150621_142206-1.jpg
    20150621_142206-1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20150621_142206.jpg
    20150621_142206.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20150621_142251.jpg
    20150621_142251.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 114

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Get out a clear safe polish and try it some should be enough to buff out if that doesn't work get a rubbing compound clear coat safe of course and try that then finish with polish and wax. My wife traded paint with the garage and her mirror, I didn't pull out of the garage far enough and the door ran down my pumper and I backed over very low stakes all left paint marks, all came out with polish compound.

OP
OP
L

le_butters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Calls the gentleman that I hit today to tell him I was heading to the body shop if he wanted to meet. He kindly declined stating there was no damage and no need for him to take it in. I'm said alright but if he still wanted a wash and wax I would pay.
So I took in my truck to have it looked at. Head shop guy and me looked at it and it was bad. Idk how but it was worse today then yesterday. Primer was showing.
It's going to cost 300 bucks to do the whole bumper again. He said he could touch it up but you could see the different shades. Something I didn't want. told him just make it look like new.
The shop does good work, put the lady's mustang back together a few times thanks to a deer. So that first scratch is a bad one and its my fault. Damn..... lesson learned.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That stinks once primer is showing its to far. My wife backed into a little frontier he had metal bumper did nothing to it and tore all the paint off my wife's bumper. $550 to get the bumper repainted damn peril paint.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That stinks once primer is showing its to far. My wife backed into a little frontier he had metal bumper did nothing to it and tore all the paint off my wife's bumper. $550 to get the bumper repainted damn peril paint.

That's why I like metal bumpers. I have got hit a few times (minor) and accidentally ran into the concrete barrier in front of the gas station a few times and barely chipped the paint

OP
OP
L

le_butters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah. I'm going to try and flash cash and shoot for 250. I was putting that 300 towards my emergency lighting in the truck. I don't believe in credit cards. Hated taking the loan on the truck. But I really needed a vehicle and this was too good of a deal to pass.