Mothers "Back to Black"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I've seen the ads, never thought I'd actually be suckered into buying products that don't really work....BUT, now I'm a believer...this stuff turned my dull grey bumper cover almost as black as the day it was installed (with another coat, it should be completely black again), worked on the tailgate cladding, but the rear bumper tops are almost *****...they will take a TON of scrubbing...

anyway, I'd like too HIGHLY suggest this product if you want to make those faded doorhandles, or any other "used to be black" part black again...for * bucks, its alot cheaper than replacing stuff...

trev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dads always used this and it can work miracles!

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've used it before and had pretty good results. I did the top on my old K5 and it took all afternoon to get it back to black lol

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use this stuff and I'm been impressed with it.

Budakane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345ci Hemi
I used to use that on my 2nd gen Jeep GC, as the plastic bumpers would fade bad.....stuff is great on plastics

NotJesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, coming from a completely different scene where we have to worry about plastic. I hate Mother's Back to Black because it doesn't last.

beauty.jpg

To keep my bumpers grey, I used this dye called Showroom grey. It's literally a dye and I had to tape off the surrounding areas to apply it, but it returns the plastic to original color. I'm pretty sure they make a showroom black too. Quick google search says you can buy the stuff here.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back to Black fades away quickly. Works great for a week or two.

NotJesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that a dye or another version of armor all?

RAMnCali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Meguiars Ultimate Black is pretty sweet; I just got that a couple weeks ago for the first time and all the white oxidation is gone from my black trim. It is not a dye (for NotJesus) but most of us won't need a dye. I'm not an expert on detailing by any means, but what I know from college chemistry suggests that this product is for all plastic, not just black, and removes the outer layer of oxidation and minor UV damage leaving behind the plastic in whatever color it is. The major fading by UV damage won't be fixed however; that is like using Shout to get out a "stain" caused from bleach damage.

MidnightRambler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Anyone tried using something on the antenna base? It's that weird washed out grey color and annoys the hell out of me.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Anyone tried using something on the antenna base? It's that weird washed out grey color and annoys the hell out of me.

Mines with the painter right now......

But if it drives you that nuts, lol - they are a buck a pop at the dealer. :D:D

trev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just get it painted! Mines white to match!! ;)

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Thanks for the heads-up on the meguiares as the back to black doesn't last long if the plastic is old and faded like on my Ol Ram, Only cure is to repaint or replace the worn parts or dip the truck in a swimming pool of Grabber Green paint.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the turtle wax version on the black plastic parts on my bbq grill and it seems to be holding up fine although it's only been a week