Need some help from paint pros

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I've noticed a few spots on my hood recently and have no idea what they are. So today I used everything I had to try and remove them with no luck at all. What I done was: washed it normally, used a medium-heavy rubbing compound, then a light-medium rubbing compound, a cleaner wax, then paste wax. *I was going to fully detail my truck any ways so I done my normal steps on entire truck which is the cleaner wax then the carnauba paste wax. *

I applied waxes and compounds with hand buff pad and a low speed buffer then removed them with a low speed polisher and wiped excess away with microfiber rag. So after all that the spots are still there!!!! Any other ideas? A few spots are raised up like it's on top of clear coat and others look like runs that are eating the clear coat. IMG_4088.JPGIMG_4089.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok so I've noticed a few spots on my hood recently and have no idea what they are. So today I used everything I had to try and remove them with no luck at all. What I done was: washed it normally, used a medium-heavy rubbing compound, then a light-medium rubbing compound, a cleaner wax, then paste wax. *I was going to fully detail my truck any ways so I done my normal steps on entire truck which is the cleaner wax then the carnauba paste wax. *

I applied waxes and compounds with hand buff pad and a low speed buffer then removed them with a low speed polisher and wiped excess away with microfiber rag. So after all that the spots are still there!!!! Any other ideas? A few spots are raised up like it's on top of clear coat and others look like runs that are eating the clear coat. View attachment 83049View attachment 83050

That spot appears to be etching from bird crap or tree sap. Since you have exhausted the products and pads are you willing to order other products? If not, I see wet sanding in the future. Also you could visit the Autogeek forum and get a whole lot more opinions.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
fordtech90

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That spot appears to be etching from bird crap or tree sap. Since you have exhausted the products and pads are you willing to order other products? If not, I see wet sanding in the future. Also you could visit the Autogeek forum and get a whole lot more opinions.

I'm always down for ordering new products lol. What do you suggest? I've never wet sanded paint before and don't know if I feel comfortable doing it.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm always down for ordering new products lol. What do you suggest? I've never wet sanded paint before and don't know if I feel comfortable doing it.

Autogeek. Net is an awesome site. MIKE PHILLIPS is the head detailing trainer. Go to the Autogeek forum and go can get opinions on any topic detail related. If you care to practice wet sanding, I suggest buying a body panel from a junkyard and practice. Since you have tried M105, look into Menzerna, and Wolfgang. Try either of these products with your microfiber pad or wool pad or foam pad. Buy a junkyard panel and hone your skills

OP
OP
fordtech90

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Autogeek. Net is an awesome site. MIKE PHILLIPS is the head detailing trainer. Go to the Autogeek forum and go can get opinions on any topic detail related. If you care to practice wet sanding, I suggest buying a body panel from a junkyard and practice. Since you have tried M105, look into Menzerna, and Wolfgang. Try either of these products with your microfiber pad or wool pad or foam pad. Buy a junkyard panel and hone your skills

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I'll check out that site and the products.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also check Autopia.com. Autogeek and Autopia are sister companies under PALM BEACH MOTORING GROUP in Stewart, Florida. Detailed Image is another great site.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wet sanding isn't all that hard to do in my opinion. I get the idea is kinda scarey on an expensive truck/car, but the process is super simple. I used to do body prep and finish at a body shop in college, its a grueling task for big jobs but small areas are a ton easier. Just practice, its a good art to learn

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you never wet sanded a vehicle or buffed one you should go to a body shop or detail shop. Does not take much to go through the clearcoat especially on a stock paint job.

OP
OP
fordtech90

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I have spent the last 2 days doing a full detail in my truck inside and out and it's raining here again so I think I'm going to apply a paint sealant today. Especially to the roof.

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No paint pro here... but as already mentioned, a case of clear coat etching. If you do decide to wet sand, watch several videos on YouTube first. Keep in mind, the clear coat is degraded and can be easily burnt through the paint while sanding (mentioned already)..

Typically, when I wet sand a vehicle I use 2000 grit wet sand paper. Since the etching is degraded clear coat, use 3500/3000 grit and ever so lightly sand. If the blemish does not level out after 5-6 sanding strokes...STOP...It's beyond correcting by wet sanding..

To protect from further degradation, apply some type of polymer coating... Last resort, I would recommend taking to a body shop and let them wet sand and re-clear the hood ..

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A good way to practice any detailing, sanding wet or dry is to buy a panel from a salvage yard and practice

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk