New truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just bought a new truck that came with dealer installed perma plate paint protection. What exactly is this? I want to do a full detail on it clay/polish/seal/wax is it ok to do that with whatever that stuff is?

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Good question.

They may have actually applied some sort of paint sealant that you could buy off the shelf and charged you way too much for it.

Or that could be their sales code for "get more money from customer for nothing".

Honestly, the dealer will probably have to be the one to give you details on it. If they won't, that might be a clue which of those possibilities it is. :)

Either way, there's no such thing as "permanent paint protection" unless you seal the truck in a complete vacuum with no light.

(EDIT: Found this little gem. Looks like it's probably no more than an expensive wax.)

Last edited:

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like something the buyer will think is a good thing. If you didn't pay extra for it, I would definitely clay/seal/wax at the least. Paint isn't perfect from the factory so compounding might not be out of the question.

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yeah I told them I wasn't paying for it. Salesman was like well it's already been done. I said well then I guess I'm not buying this truck.

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I would definitely use products you know and trust then. Especially if winter is just starting.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Yeah I told them I wasn't paying for it. Salesman was like well it's already been done. I said well then I guess I'm not buying this truck.
That's usually the only strategy to make them reconsider trying to charge you for it. But if the truck is popular enough and there are few enough other dealers around, they may be stubborn, figuring that someone else will buy it.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thank You for posting the link. Interesting information.
Belated Happy New Year to all!

nikeaddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500
Engine
V8
I also wouldn't pay it. $700 for that perma plate thing is absurd.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PermaPlate is a joke. It is basically wax...tada and we are gonna charge you $700. They show you a glass jar with some dirty water and say this is with it and the other half without, lol.
Do it yourself and take your time. Get to know your new baby and have fun...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45