not getting desired results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been working with a porter cable polisher with 5.5 chemical guy pads with various meguiars products. While I am achieving some results they aren't quite the results I am looking for. Still finding alot of scratches over freshly polished areas and the only thing that seems to have diminished but still existant is swirl marks. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong I feel like my technique is good, maybe not applying enough pressure? Vehicle has been freshly washed and clayed. Scratches are all in the clearcoat

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pressure is your friend. Make sure you have sufficient product on the pads as well. What products and pads are you using? You might need a more aggressive compound or might need to just move the pad a bit slower across the surface.

It's recommended to work ~1.5'x1.5' area at a time, make sure you aren't working more than you have product for.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The PC is a slow polisher, it's very safe but takes a lot of time to do the job, which is why I picked up a Cyclo to try and it's a lot faster compared to the PC I had before. With the PC I'd need to correct an area 3-4 times before I was happy with the result even using M105. Pressure with the PC isn't a good thing as it'll just bog the polishing wheel down. What Meguires products are you using? For serious correction I always start with the 105 then to 205 with a milder pad.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny I just saw this. I used a DA polisher today for the 1st time. I bought a Harbor Freight which I changed out the grease and the backing plate. I used M205. I was afraid to use M105. I rather keep as much clear coat on the truck as I can. I was able to remove almost all of the swirl marks and holograms but a lot of the deeper clear coat scratches were still there. I think M105 would had taken those out, but I'm ok with the results. I spent over 6 hrs washing, clay barring, polishing, and then waxing the truck. To be honest, I HATE doing it, but I love my RAM and I take care of the things I love!...lol.

OP
OP
DDean

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started with chemical guys orange pad and polished with the white pad. How much pressure should I apply with the PC?

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started with chemical guys orange pad and polished with the white pad. How much pressure should I apply with the PC?

Grab a black magic marker and draw a line on your backer plate. This will allow you to see the rotation speed. Too much pressure- line stays still/rotates very slowly. Not enough pressure-line rotates too fast. Good pressure-between the extremes. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436704217.048597.jpg

Tapatalk

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Grab a black magic marker and draw a line on your backer plate. This will allow you to see the rotation speed. Too much pressure- line stays still/rotates very slowly. Not enough pressure-line rotates too fast. Good pressure-between the extremes. View attachment 54150

Tapatalk

This is a good trick. I used mine on a speed of 5. You want to apply enough pressure to keep your pc still, while seeing the foam pad deform just a little bit. But not too much as to where the backing plate it contacting the surface through the pad, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
DDean

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Today I tried the M105/205 combo on my hood. The results were pretty good leaving me with a mirror like reflection and all swirl marks removed. There are still scratches here and there, and since I'm trying for the maximum amount of correction was wondering what the next step would be to get rid of these scratches. I did the thumb test and they are all smooth and in the clear coat but simply buffing did not take them out. What do I do? I used chemical guys pads orange and white.

OP
OP
DDean

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol ugh I was hoping to not need to spend more money

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I want a perfect finish I will start with a Trizact 3000 pad. you can use on a D/A or by hand if your just working on a problem area. I will mix a little warm water with a drop of dish soap and a splash of rubbing alcohol. It doesnt take much with the trizact to knock out any imperfections....your just looking to dull the clear coat.

Then I switch to Meguiars cutting/polishing compound (you can use a microfiber towel and hand buff if your just doing a spot job). If I am doing a larger job I normally use a variable speed buffer . And I have 3 pads I normally work with a meguiars maroon cutting pad,grey buffing pad and light blue final polish pad...But to be honest I mostly just use the grey....If I want a really nice show shine Ill top it off with the blue pad.

I squirt my polish on the pad,sprits a bit of detailer spray on the pad to lubricate it, smear it around the panel a bit, set my buffer to a somewhat low rpm and then I slightly tilt my pad so that more pressure is normally on the right hand side of my buffer (helps to "scoop" up the compound to keep even distribution across the working surface). I go in side to side motion at a steady speed with only the weight of the machine and in a matter of minutes im done.

Ill spray it with detailer spray and microfiber the residue off of the panel and then spray it with a nice liquid wax and wipe off and you are left with a perfect shine. you could go a step farther yet with a sealer also.

but out of all of it I would say the most important step is the trizact!. its a couple extra minutes taking the time to do it but the end result will give you such a flawless finish and it buffs out SO fast!.

hope that helps and gives you some more options to try.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P.s. Here are some pictures I took of my 72 Plymouth Duster I restored from top to bottom (sadly I sold it 2 years ago). But here is proof of how well my method works with a couple before and after pictures for you.

IMG_0043_zpsxsryn6r3.jpg

IMG_0066_zpssfuilgvn.jpg

IMG_0073_zpsqkgznpsb.jpg

IMG_0074_zpslwmrung5.jpg

IMG_0093_zpszmmzhmhw.jpg

IMG_0110_zpsrdqylejc.jpg

IMG_0121_zpseoeg1fec.jpg

IMG_0171_zpskrdjkiui.jpg

DSC00898_zps5xbggwny.jpg

DSC00903_zpscsnnj9bv.jpg

DSC00904_zps3qqvahad.jpg

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I want a perfect finish I will start with a Trizact 3000 pad. you can use on a D/A or by hand if your just working on a problem area.

I couldn't imagine sanding out all that orange peel by hand. I love those 3M Trizact pads. I have an electric da sander that bit the dust. Next item on my TO BUY LIST...
Nice end results, I bet you do regret selling. Sharp looking !

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I couldn't imagine sanding out all that orange peel by hand. I love those 3M Trizact pads. I have an electric da sander that bit the dust. Next item on my TO BUY LIST...
Nice end results, I bet you do regret selling. Sharp looking !

Yes it is a chore if you plan to do the entire vehicle. Plan on atleast a day or 2. But if your just doing a spot job where say a scratch in the paint is or something...it would only take a few minutes by hand from start to finish.

And yes, I built it over a 4 year period. Still miss it. Hope to have another project at some point in the future. And thanks