Old Rain-X possibly making it harder to clean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my truck used nearly two months ago and have yet to get the windshield clean. I have tried 4 different types of glass cleaner, 7 different towels and NOTHING seems to leave it without streaks. I'm wondering if a possibly Rain-X type of coating could be the culprit? I can get the inside of it streak free but the outside...no chance. Should I try shaving the glass with a new razor blade?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated since it's driving me insane.

daynawide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummings
I would not use the orange rain X it blocked
up the fluid sprayer on my 2014 2500. Dealer said just use the blue stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

new_hemi14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I bought my truck used nearly two months ago and have yet to get the windshield clean. I have tried 4 different types of glass cleaner, 7 different towels and NOTHING seems to leave it without streaks. I'm wondering if a possibly Rain-X type of coating could be the culprit? I can get the inside of it streak free but the outside...no chance. Should I try shaving the glass with a new razor blade?

Have you tried using rubbing alcohol? Another good cleaner is vinegar, since it is an acid it might break down whatever is causing the streaks.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
in Chem lab we used acetone to clean the glass containers. When you're done cleaning them, use a fresh newspaper all wadded up to buff the glass.

FIMS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every 6 months or so I clean my windshield with goof off before I reapply rainx... Might want to give that a try

Transmitted from my hand through a series of tubes thanks to Al Gore

stretch78681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 squirrel cage

Rain-X will leave a film for a while. I just use wax that has a light abrasive, Not a polish like NuFinish. it cuts through bugs & debris. Might try Turtle Wax Bug/Tar remover.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Rain X is alcohol based... so putting more alcohol on it isn't going to solve the problem.

As Jay said, I'd clay bar it and then polish it. That should get it looking like new.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Acetone and newspaper cleans windshields and any glass surface best imo .

If you've never tried it , try it and you'll never do it any other way .

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Detail spray and clay bar, then glass sealer and clean it off with no alcohol no amonia glass cleaner. I like adams glass sealant and glass cleaner personally

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would suggest a panel wipe type solvent. Car-pro eraser maybe. Then after squeaky clean use Flyby Forte. I have it on mine and have yet to use the windshield wipers even once.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got whatever it was off...ended up using a razor blade and shaving the glass. After that I went back with a buffer and then used regular glass cleaner and newspaper. There was some weird film residue on the razor blade so whatever it was...it was pretty bad.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Newspaper doesn't work as well as it use to.......most newspaper is now made from recycled paper, and the fibers in recycled paper don't clean as well since changed during the original process and the recycling process.

Think of it this way......food chewed 10 times vs food chewed 20 times.......which is mushier ??

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
best window cleaner 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and distilled water

be sure to use in well ventilated area

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I posted earlier in this thread. When I was a kid, my Uncle owned a Richfield Service Station. (before they merged with Atlantic and became ARCO), Any way he always used Distilled Water and Vinegar . No streaks at all.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
to add to everyone's ideas. I use a good spray detailer (that has the lubricants in it that are made to enhance gloss) on the outside my windows. do it when im doing my whole truck. its a fast wipe on and off, makes the water bead up great on the windows. little goes a long way.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
didn't read all the comments but 0000 steel wool cleans windows well. body shops do it all the time and i did it at a body shop when i worked there. just rinse the truck REALLY well to get all dust from it off your window seals. DON'T ROLL THEM DOWN until you do it.