Painting question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a spot on my truck, bottom of the rear fender, were the paint split basically and surface rust started to form. I wanted to sand it and do a touch up paint on it so prevent anything make happen till I get her fully painted. Now I don't want it to look like **** either. Is there a way to just paint this area instead of doing whole panel?

I was thinking prime that area where it bare metal probably use a filler primer, then sand it to make it smooth. Scotchbrite a portion of paint around the crappy area, several light coats of paint, then same with clear.

My question is should I tape off a area so it's only a certain spot where it'll blend and if so how big? Problem is its right on the edge where the side is bending in to the wheel well.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of the problems you might have is matching your paint. I think you have an 02 and it may have faded over time. If so, if you try to spot it, it will probably be pretty noticeable.
Jay

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I know it will be off some because of the paint being old, not to worried about that because it's in a spot you rarely don't look at, and I think the off-ness won't be to bad till I get it all done.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What grit number or scotchbrite pad should I use to lightly sand some of surrounding area so I can lightly blend some of the new paint?

samuelscreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
You'll want a gray pad, which is equivalent to 600 grit. If you're able to back a body line it'll be unnoticeable. Otherwise just make sure you scuff past where you're painting so you can Polish it and not have to worry about it'll peeling off