Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram General Forum > Detailing

Detailing

Plastidip an EZ-Pass?

This is a discussion on Plastidip an EZ-Pass? within the Detailing forums, part of the Dodge Ram General Forum category!
Has anyone out there used the spray on Plastidip on an EZ-Pass (NY & other states Toll Road/Bridge pass)? I've ...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

kad

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7L HEMI
Default Plastidip an EZ-Pass?
Has anyone out there used the spray on Plastidip on an EZ-Pass (NY & other states Toll Road/Bridge pass)? I've got my nice black truck and everything inside is either black or gray, except the ugly tan EZ-Pass on the windshield. I want to keep whatever I do removable in case I have to return the pass (the internal batteries have a limited lifespan). I don't think the spray Plastidip has any metallic components that would interfere with the operation of the pass...

-K

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Mods: DeeZee tailgate assist, Mopar Tonneau Cover, Mopar Side Steps, Husky X-Act Contour Floor Mats, Underhood Light, Wadestar Blind Spot mirrors, Custom Shift Knob Graphic, Cabin Air Filter, Steering Wheel Audio Controls, AVS Matte Black Areoskin, BT Catch Can, Custom Receiver Cover
kad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017 Ram Rebel
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
I have an I-Pass from Illinois even though I live in Minnesota. I don't go out east very often but when I do...its sooo handy. I was able to use it all the way to the east coast (Maine) in 2016.

With that being said....I do hate that its white.

From: https://www.ezpassritba.com/StaticCo...TransponderFaq

Granted..this is Rhode Island...but I'll assume its the same for all of the states. See below.

Can I alter the appearance of the transponder?

Customer damaging or defacing a transponder through misuse or abuse will be required to pay the full cost of a replacement transponder should the transponder become non-operational under the warranty period. This includes pencil, pen, permanent marker, stickers, and any writing whatsoever.

You could take your chances...up to you. I may hit mine with a black permanent marker...which shouldn't interfere with the signal. Plastidip...I'm not so sure.

S&B Intake / Carven Progressive w/ 5" Black Tips / Lock'er Down console safe / Infinity Speaker swap / Hood Decal / Billet Catch Can / Pedal Commander / Magnetic Gun Mount / Bayou Goat Mount...Lots of Extras
Previous: 2014 Durango R/T / 2004 S/C Mercury Marauder (550hp)
unxpctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

kad

Originally Posted by unxpctd View Post
You could take your chances...up to you. I may hit mine with a black permanent marker...which shouldn't interfere with the signal. Plastidip...I'm not so sure.
Well, that's the whole point of using Plastidip, it peels off if there's an issue. There doesn't seem to be any metallic components to the stuff, so it shouldn't interfere with the signal.

Going to be finding out for certain soon though, I just put the 2nd coat on it about 5 minutes ago. One or two more coats should do it. Let it dry overnight and then go over one of the bridges and see what happens.

-K
huntergreen likes this.

Mods: DeeZee tailgate assist, Mopar Tonneau Cover, Mopar Side Steps, Husky X-Act Contour Floor Mats, Underhood Light, Wadestar Blind Spot mirrors, Custom Shift Knob Graphic, Cabin Air Filter, Steering Wheel Audio Controls, AVS Matte Black Areoskin, BT Catch Can, Custom Receiver Cover
Old 10-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 3.6 V6
You should be fine! The EZ pass works in a Fiberglass motorcycle saddlebag from Maine to Va.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

kad

Originally Posted by Rado View Post
You should be fine! The EZ pass works in a Fiberglass motorcycle saddlebag from Maine to Va.
Yeah, I have one in a heavy leather tool roll on the front forks of my bike as well and it's never given me any issues. I'm just looking forward to not seeing the glaring (to me) tan spot on the windshield of the truck.

-K
Rado likes this.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 3.6 V6
Originally Posted by kad View Post
Yeah, I have one in a heavy leather tool roll on the front forks of my bike as well and it's never given me any issues. I'm just looking forward to not seeing the glaring (to me) tan spot on the windshield of the truck.

-K
Isn't it amazing how muck stuff we can pack on our bikes lol I would take off for a month and always had more then I needed But man when I started using the EZ Pass that made the ride that much better no more digging for $$$ lol

Old 10-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

4th Gen Moderator

Name: Matt

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: 6.4L Hemi
Send a message via AIM to LB3711 Send a message via Yahoo to LB3711
i dont mount mine. I just take it out of the glove box and put it on the dash or hold it to the window until I pass the tolls. I don't like having it mounted to the window.

New Here? Introduce yourself here - Click here to become a Supporting Member - Check out our Preferred Vendors!

2017 Dodge Daytona Charger 392 -- Stock
LB3711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

kad

Came out looking pretty good. Haven't gotten over to a bridge to test it yet.

-K

Old 10-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

4th Gen Moderator

Name: Matt

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: 6.4L Hemi
Send a message via AIM to LB3711 Send a message via Yahoo to LB3711
Originally Posted by kad View Post
Came out looking pretty good. Haven't gotten over to a bridge to test it yet.

-K
they havent upgraded you to the smaller one? I havent had the big one for years. I have used ez-pass since 2000

New Here? Introduce yourself here - Click here to become a Supporting Member - Check out our Preferred Vendors!

2017 Dodge Daytona Charger 392 -- Stock
LB3711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: NOYB

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Cummins 6.7
All of my cars have been updated but I think the motorcycle still has the big one. I'll have to look when I get home.

2013 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4x4
Mega-Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote