Polishing Diamond Plate Tool Box - Aluminum Tread Plate (ATP)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just thought I would share my findings on using aluminum brightener on aluminum tread plate. As you will note, I first used aluminum brightener and initially started polishing the tool box with homemade metal polish and a soft towel, the combination of brightener and metal polish is easier than using metal polish alone. I quickly decided to surrender the towel and break out my old trustworthy megs da polisher with a wool pad. I don't believe this technique is the ideal method of restoring ATP. I'm convinced using a side grinder with a cutting disc and rouge would be a lot faster and easier. But it works none the less..

First step, I wet the tool box with water and then sprayed aluminum brightener using a spray bottle. I've read where if you dilute the brightener with water, it will not turn the aluminum white, instead the aluminum will give off a reflective shine once sprayed off with water. I diluted 3 parts brightener and 1 part water. I sprayed the solution on the tool box and let dwell for about a minute, then sprayed off with a pressure washer.

Diluted ratio was too strong as the entire box turned white or cloudy in color. Note, whenever spraying an acid solution on sides of the tool box or a panel, the same principle applies when spraying a cleaning solution on a house, spray from the bottom up to prevent product from running and streaking. I do not know what brand the aluminum brightener is as I bought it 4-5 years ago and the label was unreadable.

The benefit of using brightener is that it removes the grit and grime from the aluminum, therefore minimizing scratching the surface when polishing, plus less elbow grease required. As can be seen in picture # 3, the scratches are visible where the box had previously been washed, rubbing the grit and grime into the surface. As shown in 1st picture below, you can see where I experimented with different products testing polishing capabilities. Grade D-....

IMG_2863_zpshystfemz.jpg[/URL]

Below - Sprayed with brightener and letting dwell for a minute, acid is foaming up

IMG_2864_zpsxxtlrubs.jpg[/URL]

After spraying with brightener and rinsing off with water... Note the surface has turned white or cloudy in color

IMG_2867_zpsuix4hqqr.jpg[/URL]

In the next two pictures you can see where I started polishing with a towel, note the scratches from previous washings. The polish is starting to remove the scratches by hand

IMG_2868_zpskk0cj2bz.jpg[/URL]

IMG_2872_zpshujynfyw.jpg[/URL]

Time out, It's been all hand polishing up to this point.... Now it's time to breakout my old da polisher and some wool pads. Note the backing of the pad is coming loose. To remedy this, I spray with headliner adhesive. Let tack up for a minute or two before attaching the backing cloth to prevent the adhesive from bleeding through. If the adhesive bleeds through, the pad will not grip the hook and loop backing plate.

My rupes da sometimes destroys hydrotech cyan pads prematurely, before trashing the pads I remove the backing cloth and will use on microfiber pads that lose its gripping capabilities before the pad is even worn out.

IMG_2873_zpsggizvk8a.jpg[/URL]

IMG_2875_zpsyktpga5g.jpg[/URL]

Okay, this is as far as I completed for now. Evidently, wasp like the smell of metal polish or the sound of the pad against the diamond plate. Damn, if one didn't sting me on my eyelid... I quit for now

[U
IMG_2882_zpsun4ff0re.jpg[/URL]

IMG_2881_zpsqzmc6tje.jpg[/URL]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr