Preparing for Full Exterior Detail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I have never done a "proper" full exterior detail before so work with me a little bit here. My truck is black and I want to get it and keep it looking excellent. The paint is in fairly good condition right now, only minor scratches and swirl marks from the previous owner. I would like some input on what I have planned. Good or bad, all comments are appreciated.

I plan on purchasing this Harbor Freight DA polisher. I have heard good things for it if you plan to seldom use it, and it is on sale for $55.
6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher

First step is too wash then clay the truck.

I will then start with M205 with an LC orange pad. I have some Ultimate Compound I can use if the M205 doesn't get out certain scratches.

Next up will be M21 for the sealant with LC gray. Followed by either the TechWax 2.0 or the Black Wax Paste with a LC blue pad.

Thoughts on the chrome bumpers? Tech Wax 2.0 ?

I am a newb so I appreciate any input!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Autogeek has a lot of information about the detailing process and different types of products you can use. Also you may want to take a look at autopia. It is a worldwide professional detailer's site where pro's talk about products, processes and show off some of their work. They will also answer any questions you might have about a particular product or combination of products you are planning to use. There is also a lot of great information in this section about detailing and different products members recommend. Also check out the "Sticky's in this section.
Jay

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would not use just any polisher. Make sure it's not gear driven, you could burn your paint pretty easy. I would spend the money from auto geek and get the 7424xp which is what I use and either a black or blue pad for applying sealants or a white pad for light swirl removal. You can watch a lot of videos from autogeek and get a good idea. Personally I wouldn't use a wax. I also live in Florida and the heat and humidity make the wax hot as sticky, it will attract dust quickly. Try a sealant. Much better shine and lasts about 6-8 months depending on how much you wash it vs wax that lasts about a month.... Also sealants wipe off very easy. Your shoulders and arms will thank you. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963