Protecting Chrome Bumpers & Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
What do you guys use to clean protect and chrome bumpers and wheels? Do you wash, apply sealant then wax? There have been quite a few reports on here from members that their new truck with chrome bumpers are already showing rust spots. I'm trying to prevent this and protect the chrome right from the start.

Thanks,

Dave

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I have always washed and waxed my chrome just as you would your paint. I actually just did this yesterday...wash, clay bar, cleaner wax, polishing wax. Its amazing how bugs don't even stick to the bumper after this process.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
+1 on the sealant and wax.
Jay

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Yep, wash them up and lay down a coat of sealant and/or wax.

Sealants will hold up longer than a wax will, so they are usually a better choice for things like wheels and bumpers.

Our Quick Sealant is an awesome choice for your bumpers. It's an aerosol, so it's very easy to work with and only requires a 30 minute cure time. Once it's cured, you can layer a wax over it if you wish.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Adams Quick Sealant lasts and lasts. It's ****** brilliant it is... Remember, Sealant bonds and waxes lay. When the bug hits the wax, it will literally push it out of the way (like a stomping in a puddle of water) and then the proteins eat it like no bodies business. Sealants put up MUCH better with this.

I put two coats of it on the G8 to last from October till April and it DOES! I just use a coin op with straight water (the soap is horrible on LSP's) immediately after every snow storm and it lasts and lasts. If you top that with their Brilliant Glaze it'll melt you face off! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
dsw1519

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
Thank you!

Chewy = master detailer. :worship:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Thank you!

Chewy = master detailer. :worship:

I just put on a good show! :pp: :lol:

No problem! If you look at the truck I'm selling I really didn't do anything special to it. I just kept it as clean as possible in the winter months and made sure it had a decent LSP on it. It's a truck and as a truck, it'll get dirty and scratched and I'm OK with that. I won't correct my new RAM, but I WILL keep it well polished and protected. I just don't have time with work, two kids under 3, and trying to do some semblance of fitness.