Question about sealant.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Im taking my 17 ram in tomorrow to get the paint sealed. the owner of the shop is a guy that worked for ferrari for 10+ years and owns this shop tells me after the sealant I won't ever need to wax my truck. I'll just need to get the sealant reapplied every 6 months. Is that right about not ever waxing it?

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How I've come to understand it is; sealant is long term (typically 3-6 months) while wax is short term (1-2 weeks). So If you wanted to give the truck a nice wash and get a little extra shine for a short amount of time go ahead and throw some wax on. I know after the first time I put on ChemicalGuys Jetseal on my truck I was amazed at how smooth it was and how rain just beaded off.

SJP_1809

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
U can top the sealant with wax, nothing wrong it and the wax will give the paint that extra "pop".

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Sealants are more durable than waxes with that being said like mentioned you can top off with wax. A carnauba wax will give you a deeper wetter look on darker colors.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you ask him what sealant he is using?

There are semi permanent ceramic coatings that you can get nowadays that can last for 2-5 years depending on the product.

NickPic83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
sealant will protect paint but usually doesnt do much for adding pop to the paint. i like to seal then top with a wax just to add that deep glossy wet look. and white can pop too. use quality stuff and u will see the difference.

04yfz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Im taking my 17 ram in tomorrow to get the paint sealed. the owner of the shop is a guy that worked for ferrari for 10+ years and owns this shop tells me after the sealant I won't ever need to wax my truck. I'll just need to get the sealant reapplied every 6 months. Is that right about not ever waxing it?

My guess it he is selling you snake oil. Sealant=synthetic wax unless you're talking about a ceramic coating. Also working for ferrari doesn't mean jack, paint is paint and if you browse the autopia forum at all you would see plenty of new ferraris with terrible paint finish as far as minor defects and swirls.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been taking my new cars and trucks to a local place called Great Lakes Chemical, and having the paint sealer applied to it and also rustproofing done. I get some tickets for a free buff and shine with it. I take my autos in in the spring and have them done. I will say, they look great all year long, and I have never had a paint or rust issue.
So, I am a firm believer in paint sealing.

OP
OP
ivey_usmc

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had it done. Truck looks great and he said it will last 5-6 months.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sealants and waxes can be interchangeable. Sealants perform the same function as wax but polymers help it last longer. I have applied sealant to my Ram at least once every 3 months since I've owned it, and I only applied wax once (After applying sealant). There was no discernible advantage to applying the wax on top of the sealant so I haven't gone back.

On previous vehicles I would flip flop between applying sealant and wax, and sealant definitely stays on the surface longer. Though wax has appeared to add slightly more depth.