Ram 1500 paint thickness average?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you looking for that info for polishing or finding a repair or repaint ? There are many valuables in that question. For polishing you really want to know how thick the clearcoat is, because in reality that's what your removing and polishing to make it shine. In a repair or repaint there are huge differences in the thickness. You would need a thickness gauge to really see where the repair/repant was done.

These trucks are about 9mils thick, in that there is the clear coat and clear is about 1.5 to 2.5 mils.

There is some really crazy info on autopoia about the clearcoat and uv stuff, in removing to much clear. Because the uv inhibitors are in the very top part of the clear it will not block or disperse the uv and could start breaking down the paint. Crazy stuff.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks fella, I wanted to check it for refinishing. See if it's been repainted. I may purchase one of those El cheapo tools that would give me a rough thickness of total paint on vehicle. Hence why I asked what the average readings of the paint to substrate generally is on our trucks

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk