Rust prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

endo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what are your guys opinions on coating the underbody with POR15. That is the plan I have. I also want to use the POR15 putty where body panels join together. Does this sound like a good idea. Might also consider a standard undercoat after as well.

Also what can I do on my own to prevent rust on bottom of doors.

Also might consider rhino lining the lowe part of the truck body at some point as well.

Thanks guys

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
POR15 is an outstanding product. While POR15 epoxy putty is good stuff, I'm not sure I would want to use in the seams of adjacent panels, turns hard as rock. You can choose to undercoat using either POR15 rust preventive paint or POR15 rubberized undercoating / or both

I know several people that reside in Colorado that undercoat with Fluid Film because of the calcium sulfate they use on the roads in the winter, POR 15 is by far better for longevity plus can be painted over rust

Paint protects against rust and a sealant or wax serves as an extended protective coating, just exactly what condition are the lower door panels currently in ? Condition of lower panels would determine necessary maintenance steps required (prep) - also, POR 15 makes a product for bed liners that can also be used for spraying lower rocker panels if desired....

Pics of panels would be helpful....

OP
OP
E

endo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No rust is showing at all on any body panels as of now. I'm assuming the truck has been garage kept so my goal is to give it a long lasting rust prevention now rather then wait.

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless paint is compromised and bare metal is exposed , it's not going to rust. Using a undercoating to protect undercarriage like you plan on doing is an excellent idea, other than that, no need to worry.

Apply a coat of Collinite 845 wax every 4-6 months or apply a sealant every 6 months to year depending on choice and you'll be good... of course, use any wax of your choice, just mentioning the 845 based on price, ease of use and longevity. IMO nothing on the market can touch it when comparing those 3 factors. While 845 looks good on all colors, it outperforms on whites.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Rinse out your wheel wells on a regular basis! Pull the tail light and thoroughly rinse out between the inner and out sheet metal before your quarters rot from the inside out.

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Another option is Chassis Saver. Much cheaper than por15 and works good also.

Bragrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Soda: a very effective means to combat rust. Soda is rubbed into the surface itself or in dry form, or as a specially prepared solution.:)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My friend who owns a body shop says he uses Fluid Film. I haven't tried it yet, but I also need to do some kind of undercarriage rust prevention for the winter.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm having the full Ziebart package done in 2 weeks.

skidozer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Up here in the rust belt Buffalo,NY the best thing is having the vehicle "oiled" rust proofing like rusty jones. It seeps into the seams and keeps them protected. I had my 03 F150 done twice and doors and rockers were still good box was shot however they recommend having it done every year here but doubt you would. .

The standard old fashioned rubber or tar undercoatings don't work up here, really think they hold moisture in. Its the seams that really rust flat sheet metal is fine. The oil is stickey almost like cooking spray.

Buckd44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fluid film once a year. Safe on everything. I have a 1997 ram virtually rust free. Just applied it to my 14 in January we I bought it.

Reactions: jbr

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
used Krown when out east but now I do not need their services. Firstly I do not drive in the rain or snow, hell it does not even go out when the roads are wet. Oh my toys received Krown out east even though they sat all winter and never saw wet roads in the summer but the humidity levels are through the roof, the other day my personal at home weather station had the humidity at 19% all afternoon. Nice way to save several hundred dollars ie not Krowning all the toys/vehicles.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
^ Yup, I use Krown on all my vehicles. Stuff is worth it's weight in gold up in the north here.

Would be nice to live somewhere where it isn't needed! :)

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anybody used boeshield t9? We've used it on some bare metal applications at work and its been pretty impressive, was thinking about coating the underside of mine with it.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Living in the RUST belt when my new truck 2016 ram 2500 arrives end of march I will be headed out to my Krown rust dealer to get it fully rust proofed :)

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Krown annually here too, with some Fluid Film touchups on the suspension throughout the winter.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was using fluid film on my old truck but I think I'm going to switch to LPS 3. Read some good detailed blog posts showing it outlasting FF. Here is one of them.

Protective spray??? - Page 2

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Fluid film once a year. Safe on everything. I have a 1997 ram virtually rust free. Just applied it to my 14 in January we I bought it.

Do you have to keep re-applying the Fluid Film or will it last?
Thanks.