rust repair repaint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1999blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
i want to fix a small spot of rust on my rear quarter panel. but when i repaint(just using a rattle can) it how can i blend the paint, so there isnt a tape line or overspray?, i just want to paint the small area around the rust spot or the whole edge of the fender to where the lip curves into the body on my ram.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The best way I've found is to clean up the rust, when you tape it off roll your tape back so you have a round edge and spray along the edges at an angle, theat way it won't leave a sharp line
Use self etching primer
I take the tape of after the color coats, wet sand with 1500 to knock down any edge then tape off a little bit bigger spot the same way as before, spray clear and then wet sand it again

Unless you use a body line you will still be able to tell basically no matter how good at blending you are, but I figure mismatched paint looks better then rust!

Explaining it is pretty tough, I can take pictures/video some time tomorrow if you need help understanding

OP
OP

1999blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
alright thanks, ya if u could post a pic of what u did that would be helpful

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heres a video i found one time. check out their other videos and site, lots of helpful info
[yt]FFs978usmNo[/yt]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45