scratch fix tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I had a run in with a 5-year old and a bicycle today. Anyone have any tips to correct?

I can catch a finger nail in the scratch but I don't think it's down to the metal.

MAG6261_zpsusqnvqzi_edit_1499114424846_zpsqth0o7uy.jpg

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've done a few of these, best thing to do is dab some paint matching paint on it. Let that dry for about 24 hours. Then if you can, go over it with a block and 1500 and then a buffer with some compound and follow up with polish/wax in that area.

Of course if you don't have that buffer, or feel comfortable with it, try a local car wash and see if they'll remove it for you. They normally try to up sell you - so say, well, how much you charge to remove this?

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used Dr. Colorchips on a deep scratch I got by running my painted bumper into the trailer hitch by not getting the dial shifter all the way into park and jumping out of the truck with it still in reverse. Worked awesome can barely see it and only if looking.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO---NEVER go to a "car wash" for paint correction. Either go to a professional detailer or a good local body shop. Usually a car wash is ill equipped to deal with paint correction and very well may do more damage than you started out with. If your thumb nail catches on the scratch you may well have to "color sand" the area and then use a light compound, then a polish to get the scratch out. ALWAYS use the LEAST abrasive solution first. If you are uncomfortable sanding your paint, take it to a professional!
Jay