Sealant Reccomendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just got my new ram off the lot a couple weeks ago. It's been driving every day for a week and has since been parked in the garage with only being driven 1 or 2 days per week (it's not my daily driver).

I've never read how to wash a car...one of those things that gets handed down from your father...so now that I know how to wash (2 buckets, microfiber, car wash soap, etc) - I've been reading about when to seal versus wax.

Sounds like I should get a good sealant on there soon (FYI I'm not a detailer, nor have the time to be one). But it seems some of the sealants are hard to remove. I won't want to ruin the paint on a truck I've not yet paid for.

So what do you recommend for a sealant that works well and is easy to apply and remove? Any first hand techniques are welcomed!! I'm also not wanting to spend $100 bucks on the sealant (I've seen some waxes going for upward of $200 with a special wood box, etc. I'm not a pro, by being in the garage, I mean my 2-car garage attached to my house...not a showroom garage! :))

I'm leaning toward Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 or Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant. I read the application process for Wolfgang on AutoGeek.net and I'm concerned about applying it to the whole truck at once, then buffing? Can you buff by hand (stupid question I think)??

Thanks!

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a lot of Adams supporters on this site (Adams is also a site supporter).

I'm partial to the Meguiars M21 Professional sealant. Very easy to apply and remove.

But, there really isn't a wrong sealant.

FYI - you will find with the "professional" products, they do not have that white chalky reside that the $4 wax does.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are a lot of Adams supporters on this site (Adams is also a site supporter).

I'm partial to the Meguiars M21 Professional sealant. Very easy to apply and remove.

But, there really isn't a wrong sealant.

FYI - you will find with the "professional" products, they do not have that white chalky reside that the $4 wax does.

How does one know if its professional or not...because it's not found in walmart or other auto stores (yeah serious question)?

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does one know if its professional or not...because it's not found in walmart or other auto stores (yeah serious question)?

Most of the professional products aren't sold in the big box stores. Expect to pay upwards of $20 for a 16oz bottle of sealant.

No real way to tell, that I'm aware of...unless it is Meguiars and they brand their professional series as professional. :)

FWIW: Buying in bulk saves!

Compare, at $1.25/oz:
Amazon.com: Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Synthetic Sealant - 16 oz.: Automotive

To, at $0.41/oz:
Amazon.com: Meguiar's M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0 - 64 oz.: Automotive

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most of the professional products aren't sold in the big box stores. Expect to pay upwards of $20 for a 16oz bottle of sealant.

No real way to tell, that I'm aware of...unless it is Meguiars and they brand their professional series as professional. :)

FWIW: Buying in bulk saves!

Compare, at $1.25/oz:
Amazon.com: Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Synthetic Sealant - 16 oz.: Automotive

To, at $0.41/oz:
Amazon.com: Meguiar's M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0 - 64 oz.: Automotive

Thanks!

How does this product apply... Is it a wipe on wipe off? Or do you have to wait 30 to wipe off? And does it come off easy? I don't t have a buffing machine...

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!

How does this product apply... Is it a wipe on wipe off? Or do you have to wait 30 to wipe off? And does it come off easy? I don't t have a buffing machine...

It applies just like a typical wax, and can be applied by hand (i.e. no buffer required).

Comes off super easy. Other sealants probably do as well, but I can personally attest to the M21.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks...this is what I'm looking for - someone to attest to the product other than the manufacturer.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here you go... Just clayed / polished / sealed last weekend. Just walked out and snapped a pic for you (truck hasn't moved since I detailed it last week).

All nestled into it's spot:

355E1E92-EFBD-4F60-8EC3-F5C2CA276236_zpsnp3fx4xd.jpg

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here you go... Just clayed / polished / sealed last weekend. Just walked out and snapped a pic for you (truck hasn't moved since I detailed it last week).

All nestled into it's spot:

355E1E92-EFBD-4F60-8EC3-F5C2CA276236_zpsnp3fx4xd.jpg

Sweet!! thanks! What is your product routine? As in you say you clayed/polished/sealed....what other products do you use?

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet!! thanks! What is your product routine? As in you say you clayed/polished/sealed....what other products do you use?

Start with Clay bar. I clay about 2x a year (but seal about 4x a year; so 2x a year, I skip the clay and polish).

Clay:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g1016-smooth-surfacereg-clay-kit/

Or

Mothers® California Gold® Clay Bar System

Honestly - since these are both mild, non-abrasive clays, I doubt there is any real difference between them. Maybe someone else would know, but to me, they work the same.

Polish:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/m0716-show-car-glaze-16oz/

Polish will help remove micro-scratches and swirls, and give the paint a deep glossy appearance.

Sealant:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/m2116-synthetic-sealant-20-16oz/

You can apply wax on top of sealant for a deeper gloss - but not sealant on top of wax. No real need to do so - but some like to apply wax on top of sealant.

Others will be along (I am sure) to talk about other products; but this is what works well for me; and think you'll be happy with the results as I've been.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am using "The Chemical Guys" JetSeal109 and their Carenuba wax.

Good wash (I don't bother with 2 buckets, so sue me)
Hand dry with absorber
Mother's Clay Bar (It's what I have)
JetSeal109 (Sealant)
Wax (2 coats typically)

I won't claim it's a perfect scratch free truck. But it does look DAMN good.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am using "The Chemical Guys" JetSeal109 and their Carenuba wax.

Good wash (I don't bother with 2 buckets, so sue me)
Hand dry with absorber
Mother's Clay Bar (It's what I have)
JetSeal109 (Sealant)
Wax (2 coats typically)

I won't claim it's a perfect scratch free truck. But it does look DAMN good.

Me either. But, my truck is pretty much a pavement queen, so lots of mud and grit aren't typical for my paint.

Lots of grit, I might do the two bucket system.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks to you both, this is what I needed. My truck is brand new so I just want to get a good seal on it (not sure if I'll clay or not - I do have it though).

Right now I'm thinking i'll do this
1) a good wash with auto shampoo/soap
2) claying (optional - I can't feel anything - paint feels perfectly smooth)
3) Seal with Megs M21

Like emjohn4 my truck only sees pavement, when I drive it 1 - 2 days a week....

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to you both, this is what I needed. My truck is brand new so I just want to get a good seal on it (not sure if I'll clay or not - I do have it though).

Right now I'm thinking i'll do this
1) a good wash with auto shampoo/soap
2) claying (optional - I can't feel anything - paint feels perfectly smooth)
3) Seal with Megs M21

Like emjohn4 my truck only sees pavement, when I drive it 1 - 2 days a week....

I'd recommend claying it since it is new), and doing the feel test later. You'd be amazed at the contaminants a new truck has on it. Lots of rail dust and factory dust does settle on the paint prior to you getting it.

Try a small area - then do the feel test (and look at the clay). If it is smoother, and there are contaminants in the clay, I'd clay the entire truck.

Wax / Sealant will last longer on a clayed surface, since it is uncontaminated.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would clay a new truck as well.
It might look great, but you'll know it's clean before you seal it.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I'll do that...Is it OK to not do it all at once? Claying and sealing for that matter... As long as it stays garaged until done?

KTM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anyone have opinions or experience with the sealant system that the dealer applies?

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I'll do that...Is it OK to not do it all at once? Claying and sealing for that matter... As long as it stays garaged until done?

Yes - the main thing is dust free. Just remember than any dust or grit that got on the paint overnight, will be ground into the paint the next day if it doesn't stay clean.

I'll typically wash and clay one evening, garage, and the next day, wipe the truck down with a microfiber towel, and then polish, seal, and clean the inside.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes - the main thing is dust free. Just remember than any dust or grit that got on the paint overnight, will be ground into the paint the next day if it doesn't stay clean.

I'll typically wash and clay one evening, garage, and the next day, wipe the truck down with a microfiber towel, and then polish, seal, and clean the inside.

Thanks for all the advice... I'll do this after my Rag Company microfiber order comes in. I plan on washing with megs gold class auto shampoo.

jojo2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, make sure you don't drive the truck or anything after claying and before putting any kind of protectant on the vehicle. Since the clay will essential take the protectant off. Just like everyone has said: wash, clay, polish/seal, and wax if you want. Truck will look nice and shiny and it will protect your paint as well