Which Sealant To Use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2012 Ram in Deep Cherry Red. The paint is still in very good shape and I'd like to keep it that way. I have people ask me all the time if it's a 2014 and they're surprised to find out it's 2 years old.
So, I'd like to have the long-term protection of a sealant, but need to know which one is going to look best on my color.
From my limited research, I've found that Klasse lasts longer than most, but may not give the gloss and depth I want. Wolfgang doesn't last as long but may give more depth.
Is this accurate? Which would you recommend on this color? Would a good wax on top of the Klasse increase the depth?

Also, how much of a pain is it to apply? Any tips?

nascamper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just put Opticoat 2.0 on my truck and my wife's Volvo. I didn't know anything about it until a couple of months ago. Google it or search Autogeek.net for info. I did it myself after watching several videos and it came out great!
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20140510_153115.jpg
    20140510_153115.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 62

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Opti Coat is a great coating that you can expect about 2 years+ protection. As far as a sealant goes my preference is Wolfgang 3.0. I let it cure for 24 hrs. then top it with Collinite 845. I am more than pleased with the results and it seems to last well over 6-8 months. Everyone has their favorite and I'm sure you will get lots of opinions. I recommend you go to autopia, which is a world wide professional detailer site and read about the use of sealants and which sealants many professional detailers use. They also explain why they use a particular product and then they show pictures of the results. You will notice that many name brand products are not mentioned by professional detailers. I believe that this is because there are other products available that do a better job. Remember one thing---Only one person has to be satisfied with the results and that is YOU
Jay

soldiercowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l 4x4 Tradesman crew cab
Hey nascamper just to let you know we have the same truck and color except you have the longer steps and I have a black brush guard go to my profile I have pictures there. I am in the process of getting my truck detailed with sruff and equipment from meguiars will post pictures there when I get done. It is taking a while due to working days and nights along with the weather and my garage is not long enough for my truck to fit to keep it out of weather I wadhed clayed washef my next step os polish seal then was I will post pics when done
Jack

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

jojo2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I like to use SPNS(Sonax Polymer Netshield), Pretty awesome sealant. Opti-Coat is awesome as well. Either one would be a good choice.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a vote for Zaino. It takes longer to read how to apply it, than it does to apply. STUPID easy to apply & buff off, longetivity is incredible.
I only stopped using it because I prefer the warm glow of carnauba on our current vehicle colours.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have become somewhat lazy in my later years and I am convinced with todays high quality clear coated paints that very little else is required

is there really any science out there regarding the value of some of these expensive applications ... ?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Even the longest lasting sealant will only last a year or so; many will last even less. What science are you looking for exactly? Everything we do is in the name of protection and looks. If you're not concerned about looks, protection should still be important to you. Without SOME sort of protection, the paint and clearcoat have no barrier to the bombardment of UV rays, manmade and natural fallout, bird droppings, rail dust, dust, dirt, etc.

jojo2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah it is mainly all for protecting the paint. If you want something to last even longer than a sealant, you can look into a special coating that will last pretty darn long under normal conditions.