Sealant Wax??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Recently looked into Optimum Opti-coat sealant for my truck. Shop said it’s good for 5 years. Looks amazing in pics and sounds impressive on the box BUT it’s not cheap. Looking at 800 minimum to have my complete truck done. That being said is the Opti-coat Roth it?? Or is there a little cheaper/better product out there??

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO Optimum Opti-coat sealant is one of the better products out there. If you want expert opinions go to autopia and look at what the professional detailer have to say about it. There are always better or cheaper products available it really depends on what you can afford and what you are satisfied with.
Jay

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5 years? That might happen under perfect conditions, but you should realistically expect 2-3 years.

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A good cheap sealant is REJEX. I have been using it for about 5 years now. I apply every 6 months. Great product. Found out about it on a Corvette forum.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a world of difference between a "coating " and a "sealant". This will talk about coatings.
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/car-paint-coatings.html
Here is the Opti paint coating
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/opti-coat.html#.Wf84fltSyG4

A friend of mine just had his truck coated with the Opti coat and with surface preparation and paint correction and installing the coating the cost was over $1000.

This explains what a sealant is and what it does
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/paint-sealants.html

Collinite does a super job however it is a wax and it will last about 6-7 months. It is not a sealant or a coating. I use it every six months.
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/liquid-insulator-wax-845.html#.Wf85oVtSyG4

Jay

Last edited:

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Opti-Coat Pro & the cQuartz Finest done on two different vehicles.

It is very expensive and does produce great results. I just don't think it's worth the money.

For the money, I'd rather get the vehicle fully wrapped in something like Xpel Ultimate clear film that has self healing properties.

As someone already mentioned, for durability it's hard to beat good old & cheap Collinite 845.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just coated my '17 Big Horn with Optimum Gloss-Coat. Its not quite as long-lasting as Opti Coat, but that is mostly only available through a professional which usually entails correction and application costs as well.

I prepped the truck with Optimum HyperPolish, cleaned the polish residue with a damp microfiber and IPA wipedown, then applied the Gloss Coat.

Worked out OK for me....white truck made it hard to see the high spots and I missed a few, but I dont think most people would notice. can always go back and polish them down a bit if it really bothers me.

With my truck sitting outside 24/7, I preferred a coating. its "only" rated for 2 years, but after having other Opti products on other vehicles (OptiCoat Pro on my G37 and ES350), I see how well it handles slight neglect (i.e. bird bombs, longer time between washes, etc).

The prep work is the hardest part for any type of protectant (wax, sealant or coating), so to me it just comes down to what type of last step you prefer and what your budget is. Wax is usually the least expensive, coating is the most, sealant(s) somewhere in between. The length and quality of protection goes about in the same order.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The prep work is the hardest part for any type of protectant (wax, sealant or coating), so to me it just comes down to what type of last step you prefer and what your budget is. Wax is usually the least expensive, coating is the most, sealant(s) somewhere in between. The length and quality of protection goes about in the same order.

^^^^This is 100% spot on!!!!!!

Surface preparation is the MOST important step in the whole process. If you have a crappy foundation, anything you put over the top of it will not look it's best. It's a lot of work the first time but after you have a good base the routine maintenance is a lot easier and quicker. I think it's good therapy, gets me out of the house and into the garage and when I'm done I reward myself with a couple of beers!!!! WIN-WIN :naughty::naughty:
Jay

OP
OP
Pa.hemi.ram

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Pull ya

OP
OP
Pa.hemi.ram

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was two thumbs up emoji. Lol thank you for all the info.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your welcome. I hope the info will be helpful. If you need anything else just shoot me a PM.
Jay

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Pa.hemi.ram

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put the Collinite 845 on about a month ago and WOW does it put a nice coating on my trucks. Water beads right off. Cleans up EASY. Talked to a couple guys that got the opti coat put on they said “they like it but by no means love it” both recommended Collinite 845 from previous details...

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Collinite 845 is the only wax I can think of that last 6 months. It's some tough stuff and looks realllllly good. Use less than very little and I just do 1 panel at a time. As has been said it needs to be "warmed up" as it can get pretty thick in the bottle. If you have any product left on the applicator when you finish, you used too much.
Jay