Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram General Forum > Detailing

Detailing

Showing off what I've learned. Paint correction in progress.

This is a discussion on Showing off what I've learned. Paint correction in progress. within the Detailing forums, part of the Dodge Ram General Forum category!
Pseudo update: Life has been incredibly hectic lately from all angles. Old job giving me hell, vacation, side work, potential ...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #121 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Pseudo update:

Life has been incredibly hectic lately from all angles. Old job giving me hell, vacation, side work, potential new job and a recent engagement. So I'd first like to apologize to those that have sent me PM's with questions. If I haven't responded to you, please send me another message. I know spring is here and everyone wants their trucks shined up asap so I'll help however I can!

Soon to come, I'll be doing a comparison between using a Nanoskin sponge compared to your normal clay. Trying a new sealant, using IronX and might even be getting a new DA. Nothing special, but things I've been wanting to try. So stay tuned for some updates and thanks for your patience.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

1998 Trans Am Ws6 M6 - It's stock officer...
2014 Ram Hemi - Vararam Intake | Retrofitted
My Detailing Adventures
tipnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #122 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
^Nice, thanks for documenting everything Def learned some things here. Truck is being buffed in a few weeks (at least 2 stages and polish) then I am going to use Wolfgang 3.0 and top that with Collonite 845 then use Opti finishing spray as time goes on. Also going to pick up Nano towel and give it a shot.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #123 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Jason,
Tipnitty really know is shit. He is a good one to listen to. He has tried everything he uses and is always willing to help people out. You can rest assured that the information you get from him is accurate.
Jay
tipnitty likes this.

Pull Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #124 (permalink)

Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
^Nice, thanks for documenting everything Def learned some things here. Truck is being buffed in a few weeks (at least 2 stages and polish) then I am going to use Wolfgang 3.0 and top that with Collonite 845 then use Opti finishing spray as time goes on. Also going to pick up Nano towel and give it a shot.
I'm glad I could help. After Jay's advice of using Wolfgang, I've really wanted to try it. But knowing how many good reviews it has, I sort of want to branch out a bit. If that makes sense. As everyone knows, I'm a big fan of CG, so I might try out their Jet Seal sealant and top that with Colinite. I used Griots sealant last time, cost vs results were adequate. Once I use up all my CG spray wax, I'll definitely be giving Opti a try. I was looking at Nano towels, but I picked up the fine grade sponge to try first. But you are on the right track, be sure to post results!

Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
Jason,
Tipnitty really know is shit. He is a good one to listen to. He has tried everything he uses and is always willing to help people out. You can rest assured that the information you get from him is accurate.
Jay
Thanks for the compliment Jay! Need my garage back and I'll be a happy chappy. This new job will have my running around the midwest and the south from time to time. So I very well could be in Texas before too long. I'd be happy to bring my supplies with me and would attack that new truck of your, if you haven't hit it already! Ever determine if you were going to try a new Wolfgang?

My Detailing Adventures
Old 04-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #125 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
I'd like to try their new coating but I'll have to save up to buy it---their realllly proud of that stuff. When the time gets closer let me know and we'll decide on a plan---Good to hear from you again and glad things are going OK.
Jay

Pull Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #126 (permalink)

O.o I'm doing a thing with stuff!

My Detailing Adventures
Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #127 (permalink)

So, today I decided to clean the truck up as I had a free afternoon. My goal was to do a prep for sealant and wax on timely basis. I also decided to use IronX for the first time as part of my prep, along with Nanoskin sponge. So here's what I did. Took the truck to the wash bay, cleaned here up using a two bucket method. Once that was completed, I doused the the entire exterior of the truck with copious amounts of IronX. I haven't used IronX before, so I expected MUCH worse results. After application of IronX, you'll be able to see the product at work while it turns purple.

These were all results after around 4 minutes. Needless to say, I expected MUCH worse. So I'm already happy. Be prepared though, this product will knock your socks off with it's fragrance. But after that, I was ready for clay bar.

I bought a Nanoskin sponge off of Amazon. I searched for Nanoskin towels and what not, this was my first time using this, so I didn't want to spend $40 on a towel. I've learned a few things while using this.

1) The product requires a very slick lubricant. I was using my Chemical Guys Clay Luber during this diluted 1:4 (lubricant:Water). Needless to say, I don't believe it was enough. I used an entire 16oz bottle to do my truck. Overall, I thing the Nanoskin is a great time saver, and worked quite well.

2) I'm not sure if this is my truck being cared for, or if the Nanoskin was not grabbing enough material. The sponge didn't have many friction points of removing particles. I'm assuming there wasn't a lot stuck to the paint and needing to be removed. And not that the sponge wasn't moving an adequate amount of contaminants.

3) If you are going to correct your paint after this, I feel like you will shooting yourself in the foot. The Nanoskin sponge removed a majority of contaminants, but if was to compound after this, I would prefer actual clay. I'm not completely sold on Nanoskin yet. I know there are a few spots that needed additional attentions. Since I just applied sealant and wax in a time sensitive situation, I feel the Nanoskin did well.

I applied one coat of Griot Sealant with a gray-hex hand applicator, and followed that up with 2 coats of Colinite 845 using the gray-hex as well. Here's how it turned out.

Mother nature decided not to comply and the sun came out as soon as I applied the first coat of sealant. So I had to finish up as rain is moving in for the weekend. Over all, I'm happy with the outcome.

One other thing I've learned, running out of beer mid way and turning to tequila is a very dangerous idea. A very delicious idea, but dangerous! Any questions, let me know!

My Detailing Adventures

Last edited by tipnitty; 04-28-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #128 (permalink)

My Detailing Adventures
Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #129 (permalink)

Cleaned my car up on Friday afternoon, and took it for a spin. Went out of town to visit my lady friend. Came back home an hour ago to my car looking like this. Living in this town is completely disheartening. I miss my garage

My Detailing Adventures
Old 12-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #130 (permalink)

Bead game looking good!

Pull Ya likes this.

My Detailing Adventures