Showing off what I've learned. Paint correction in progress.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had to rush this one to get errands done before I go on night shift. So the chrome has hard water and the plastics are still dirty. Man I hope I can get rid of more chrome over winter.

eZJxAOM.png

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just some new products for me when it warms up again.

KTUhxgh.jpg

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tools for today before the weather gets cold again.

BztChK4.jpg

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wanted to give a quick review of the Chemical Guys products I just tried out.

• Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer Has a great smell, very slick for the surface. No need to use too much product, one well placed spray will take care of a panel. Gave me plenty of time to work the product and buffed off easily. I would give it a good 8/10 and will definitely use it again.

• Chemical Guys InstaWax+ I gave each panel probably 2 sprays of this after a good shake. Has a great smell and working time. Directions say you can wipe off immediately, or you can let the product haze. Once I applied to one side of my truck, I went back and wiped it off easily from the panel I started at. Looks great! We'll see how it holds up. I give this a good 8.5/10 to this point.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wanted to give a quick review of the Chemical Guys products I just tried out.

• Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer Has a great smell, very slick for the surface. No need to use too much product, one well placed spray will take care of a panel. Gave me plenty of time to work the product and buffed off easily. I would give it a good 8/10 and will definitely use it again.

• Chemical Guys InstaWax+ I gave each panel probably 2 sprays of this after a good shake. Has a great smell and working time. Directions say you can wipe off immediately, or you can let the product haze. Once I applied to one side of my truck, I went back and wiped it off easily from the panel I started at. Looks great! We'll see how it holds up. I give this a good 8.5/10 to this point.
Thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was nice today, broke out the chemical guys products and went to town!

L8xt4xd.jpg

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread is great. I am a new Ram owner with the Maroon paint. I have been driving gas getters and a free Nissan pickup for the last 7-8 years and havnt had a vehicle I cared about since my first truck out of high school 12 years ago. Anyhow after buying a house and getting debt free my time had come to buy a truck I love :) The paint is pretty dang nice but I wanted to find out what products to use for general waxing, protecting, etc. In the past all I did was basic car wash soap and turtle wax by hand. So any input or info I can find is great. I am friends with Todd Fortier of Todd's auto body (he has done jobs for Jay Leno and is known for restoration ability) in Springfield OR so I have thought about just having his shop do a nice detail and call it good. How does the chemical guys general washing soap compare to the general Maguire's soap or similar?

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread is great. I am a new Ram owner with the Maroon paint. I have been driving gas getters and a free Nissan pickup for the last 7-8 years and havnt had a vehicle I cared about since my first truck out of high school 12 years ago. Anyhow after buying a house and getting debt free my time had come to buy a truck I love :) The paint is pretty dang nice but I wanted to find out what products to use for general waxing, protecting, etc. In the past all I did was basic car wash soap and turtle wax by hand. So any input or info I can find is great. I am friends with Todd Fortier of Todd's auto body (he has done jobs for Jay Leno and is known for restoration ability) in Springfield OR so I have thought about just having his shop do a nice detail and call it good. How does the chemical guys general washing soap compare to the general Maguire's soap or similar?

In my opinion, most of the soaps on the market are just soap with a different scent. It's how you wash the truck is what really matters. Two bucket method, grit guards and a nice wash mitt. Most automotive/paint soap will work just fine, I'm just preferential to CG products.

As far as having someone do a detail, if it's something that fits your budget then go for it. Maintain it the best of your ability. Once the swirling starts to return, do some research and feel free to give it a go yourself! Congrats on a new truck!

Last edited:

wblv17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've found CG extreme top-coat sealant to be my go to and replaced 845 as my go to. Last longer and easier to work with. Takes me 25 minutes for my mustang and 35 minutes for my Ram.

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got bit by the bug when I first got my Jeep in October but after buying my truck last month and gettin it lifted...its been extra bad. I've been having a lot of luck with Adam's products. I recently ordered a filter for my wash water since my well water is disgusting. Saturday was the first time I washed the truck and saw how horrible the previous owner had treated it. There are a few scuffs, but swirls like crazy! I'm thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on a polisher this week or next since it's driving me crazy. After doing research on machines for newbies it looks like I'm going to be ordering the cyclo. I looked at Flex and Rubes but they almost appear to aggressive for someone just stating out. I also saw the cyclo has very low vibration so your arms don't get as tired. Here's a link to what I'm looking at.

Cyclo Model 5-Pro Polisher Kit | Orbital Polisher | Adam's Polishes

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've found CG extreme top-coat sealant to be my go to and replaced 845 as my go to. Last longer and easier to work with. Takes me 25 minutes for my mustang and 35 minutes for my Ram.

Appreciate the advice! I'll look into it for sure.

I got bit by the bug when I first got my Jeep in October but after buying my truck last month and gettin it lifted...its been extra bad. I've been having a lot of luck with Adam's products. I recently ordered a filter for my wash water since my well water is disgusting. Saturday was the first time I washed the truck and saw how horrible the previous owner had treated it. There are a few scuffs, but swirls like crazy! I'm thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on a polisher this week or next since it's driving me crazy. After doing research on machines for newbies it looks like I'm going to be ordering the cyclo. I looked at Flex and Rubes but they almost appear to aggressive for someone just stating out. I also saw the cyclo has very low vibration so your arms don't get as tired. Here's a link to what I'm looking at.

Cyclo Model 5-Pro Polisher Kit | Orbital Polisher | Adam's Polishes

I've never used or looked into the Cyclo before, but it looks interesting. The flex and rubes are great tools for a mirror finish. As I'm sure you have seen earlier, I started with the HarborFreight DA. Which is hands down the heaviest machine with the most vibration. It wasn't that bad as a beginner, but doing the whole correction in a day will leave your arms a bit tired no matter what. Props on taking initiative to getting that shine back!

OP
OP
tipnitty

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a little bit of extra time last night and the weather allowed for some experimentation. I decided to give Chemical Guys Black on Black a try. I bought this well over a year ago and haven't really gotten around to it. This product was my first attempt at a "plastic or trim restorer" with limited knowledge.

CKwx0Dz.jpg

I decided that under my hood was filthy and needed to be cleaned. I didn't grab any pictures, but there was a large amount of dried water and dust. I took the intake, radiator cover and engine cover off. Cleaned them with an APC and dried them off. Following directions, i applied the product to one piece at a time and working the product into the plastic. Set them aside to cure a bit.

Here's how it turned out. Sorry for the ****** quality.

BR7vxPm.jpg
SMbhJOg.jpg

Now, how do I feel about this product.
  • As you can see, the product is in an aerosol can. So not a good start.
  • Product was very easy to spray in low volumes.
  • Product was very easy to work and cured easily.
  • The product does have a decent sheen to it. But it's a bit too glossy for my taste.
  • Final product, WAY too greasy. after a few moments, dust at already settled onto the plastics.
  • Trying to install the plastics while covered in this wasn't very fun.

Now, I'm sure some of you aren't too surprised by this and neither am I. Like I said, I thought this would be a good product when I just started my detailing days. Glad I tried it, but I'll stick with my Aerospace 303 any day of the week. If you like the really glossy shine, this would be up your alley. But I give it a 5/10.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For a new starter in quality car washing/cleaning products what are the few basic Chemical guys products I should buy? I was looking on Amazon and see there are LOTS of different products. Looking to get a basic soap wash, wheel cleaner and maybe some final detail spray or something similar. I bought there microfiber mit already. Def need a good wheels cleaner as each time I have washed them so far they just attract dirt like crazy! I imagine a good wheel cleaner acts kinda like a wax repelling dirt and brake dust? Truck is going to be buffed right here in a month or so and I really want to take care of it best as I can. Plus like you it appears I enjoy detailing :) I did order some splash gaurds yesterday and have decided I will not drive until I get them installed. Seems like every time I look at the truck I find more chips!

I read and seen some pics of the Cololonite 845 wax, seemed really nice!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Collinite 845 is a very popular wax and a lot of people have had great success with it. If, after you clean your wheels, you put a good coat of sealant then top it with a good wax, I think your wheels will not only be better protected, they will be easier to clean in the future. A good spray detailer(wax) that I use every time I wash my truck is Opti Spray Car Wax. It does an excellent job and only takes about 15 minutes for the whole truck. It gives you a little added protection also.
Jay

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Collinite 845 is a very popular wax and a lot of people have had great success with it. If, after you clean your wheels, you put a good coat of sealant then top it with a good wax, I think your wheels will not only be better protected, they will be easier to clean in the future. A good spray detailer(wax) that I use every time I wash my truck is Opti Spray Car Wax. It does an excellent job and only takes about 15 minutes for the whole truck. It gives you a little added protection also.
Jay

What sealant for wheels do you use/recommend? I have never bought any specialty wheel products before...I'll check out the spray :) Thanks for the input.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use Wolfgang 3.0 sealant and Collinite 845 on my wheels also. Does an excellent job. You can read about the Opti Spray Wax on autogeek.
Jay