Suggestions for in between washes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

endo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a nice black truck. Not OCD at all so having the truck dusty not to big of a deal but I wash the truck once a month now. Probably every other week come winter.

Anyway I have a California duster but kind of worried to use it as it wasn't cared for very well then was given to me 5 years ago lol.

Do you guys recommend those dusters. Is there a way to clean this one or should I just get another one. Or is there something better.

Also I want to wipe my truck down about once a week too. I want something that will clean shine and maybe add a little protection but quickly. The stuff I have been using says streak free but it leaves nasty streaky water spots all over.

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, I say never use those. But one that's been sitting around for years, toss it. Some people will say that if there is a very fine layer of dust, it's safe to use. I don't necessarily agree.

If you would like to spot clean, you will need to get yourself some spray detailer and spray wax. I would start by putting a good strong layer of wax on the truck before winter. Get yourself some nicer microfiber towels (I got my chemical guys towels from amazon) to use with the spray detail and wax. I have separate towels for each (3 for quick detailer and 3 for spray wax).

As far as a weekly wipe down, I take mine to a stall and put $1 worth of quarters in the machine (so long as the truck is just dusty and not actually dirty). I spray the truck down with some water pressure to blow any sort of crap off. Once I dry the truck, I'll use a spray wax with clean microfiber towels.

That's the method I use.

johniew398

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used a California Duster on my black Viper ACR for five years. Didn't scratch at all and kept the car dust free.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
California duster's do a good job for what they are designed to do--remove a light layer of dust(like at a car show with people walking around kicking up dust). If you maintain the duster the way you should you shouldn't have to worry about scratches or leaving an oily surface. If you have any doubt about using the duster or for that matter any type of detailer or spray wax because of the dust /dirt on your truck I recommend that you wash your truck instead of using a duster or detailer. As we all know, black shows everything, and you can leave a scratch or mark on the surface just by thinking about driving your truck--LOL
Jay

I perfer using Opti Spray Wax as a detailer in between complete details and after washing the truck. I also add it to my wash water when I wash the truck.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never been a fan of those dusters. I have one and rarely use it. But my truck is a daily driver and I live in the country do my Bug and dust level is above normal. Its the bad side to having a 1/4 mile long gravel driveway.

I have a routine that every week I go to one of those do it yourself wash places and just pressure wash only no brush. never use the brush.... but then every month I take it to the car wash and let them do the inside/ outside. The pressure wash and hand dry seems to keep it shinny clean till the deep clean every month

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once you have a good base of a sealant and a top coat or two of a good wax, it is pretty easy to clean and maintain your truck. I hate dirt roads--I feel for you.
Jay

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I use a California Duster in between as well. They do great for light dust.
Hae the smaller one for dash and radio.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once you have a good base of a sealant and a top coat or two of a good wax, it is pretty easy to clean and maintain your truck. I hate dirt roads--I feel for you.
Jay

Yup, I'd do the detail myself, just never have the time plus I get a pretty good price from a shop I have used for years. every year before planting and after harvest I'd take my 07 in.... cost me $150 to was, clay-bar, buff polish, steam clean the interior, engine and under carriage and when your truck spends 7-8 months in the fields farming dirt gets every where.

This topic is making me realize just how dirty mine is. I missed yesterdays wash due to a Structure Fire...