Surface Scratches?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigCountry56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a few small surface scratches on my truck, around the bed and also on the front bumper (color match). Truck is black. What is the groups thoughts on the best way to take care of this? Thanks!

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
As long as the scratches are in the clear coat and not through it down to the paint, then they can be removed by polishing. Light swirls and scratches need an abrasive polish to remove them as you are physically leveling out your clear coat. Polishing with a machine here is the way to go as it's not really possible to remove any kind of paint defects by hand.

If you can catch them with your fingernail, then they need some more intensive repair.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ive removed several from mine with a drill, foam 4" buffing pad from a 3M headlight restore kit, and some 3M perfect-it rubbing compound. Just cleaned the area really well, then buffed at low to medium speeds until the scratch was no longer visible, then blended the surrounding area. After a good wash to remove the compound there is no sign of a scratch or any swirls or marks from buffing.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Adams focus pads are the BOMB! Check them out!

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I can catch 2 on my truck with my nail. It looks white on the black truck. What can I do to fix this?

Desert Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
I can catch 2 on my truck with my nail. It looks white on the black truck. What can I do to fix this?

If you feel comfortable, wet sand with 2000grt sand paper it's a must
to know this for black or any dark colored vehicles.

Then it's a three step process to bring back the luster and blend it in.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To be honest, if they are that deep, if you feel uncomfortable sanding and or using a pretty abrasive compound with a buffer on your truck, you may be best served to take it to a professional detailer and have them do the correction. Always remember, when removing scratches always use the LEAST abrasive product first to see if it will remove the scratch.
Jay

ralphdees

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6 engine
There are products that try to mask scratches temporarily, but polishing the paint can restore it. You can polish the paint with compound. check out different brands.

Mitchcoog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Blacked
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try a little meguiars x20 scratch. It has done some impressive removal of scratches.

handyman1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
310-hp, 4.7-liter V-8 engine
I also had small scratches on my truck's hood. I tried the Nu Finish - Scratch Doctor Car Scratch Remover and it really worked. Try it. :)

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Thanks guys! I think I may have to have these ones professionally fixed. Knowing my luck I'll make it worse and it'll cost more :) haha