Tar or paint splatter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did search for tar and got posts about bugs. It looks like my daughter hit a puddle of tar on a white Camry. So much so that she has been told that it looks like her car is leaking oil. Any ideas on how to get this off. I can pick it off with my finger. I've tried goof off, and turtle wax bug and tar remover. I am thinking it is tar but it could be black paint. I tried mineral spirits on a small section and still nothing.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Try paint reducer. It won't hurt the clear coat. Don't rub the clear coat with it hard once it comes off. Wax the area when done.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can also try detailing clay. Mother's and Meguiars both have kits at Walmart

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny - in the UK there are specific products for this very purpose (Tardis, Solbitume). When I moved to the US, I wasn't allowed to ship my chemicals, so had to buy everything here - but tar remover was not one I could find.

They worked just like iron remover -spray it on and you see brown running down from where the tar is - then just wipe it off, and keep the microfiber you use for that purpose only....

I've found that kerosene does the job pretty well here, and doesn't seem to damage the paint that I can see. It's not as good as the dedicated tar removers were in the UK, but it's about 50% as good, so 2 goes and the tar is mostly gone. The smell is similar so I wouldn't be surprised if they're close chemically. It does leave an oily film though, so I have a 2nd MF that I spray with a shampoo/water mix to get that off (and only use that MF for that purpose)

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the same thing years ago and had thick dried on tar on my car, spray it with WD-40, let it soak in and it will start coming off very easily in layers at a time and then wash off the wd-40 when done and re-wax. The WD-40 won't harm your paint or clear coat.

OP
OP
I

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you ill give wd40 a try. I have a test spot

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I used 3M adhesive remover to get road tar off my truck, it's made to be used on paint so it won't hurt it.

OP
OP
I

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it ended up being road paint. A little isopropyl alcohol took it right off. I gave it a good wash afterwards.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Only use a gentle or detailing product to remove tar

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk