Thinking of getting a pressure washer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smarsmar101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, as title states... Thinking of getting one....

Maybe electric seeing as I'm only cleaning "engine bay, wheel wells, under truck, frame, wheels, calipers"...

What are your thoughts?

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get one that will allow a foam cannon to be attached to it.
Check out some detailing forums and see what those guys use.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ive never had the "need" for a pressure washer to wash my cars. Especially not the engine since everywhere i saw they DID NOT recommend using high pressure to wash the engine compartment.

But i do see it useful for the undercarriage or wheel wells if you off-road a lot

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
They are nice tools to have at your disposal, but are almost always more of a hassle than a help.

A lot of it really depends on how well you maintain your truck. If you do a good job of it, then a power washer will really never be necessary.

If you wash it once a month and it get's FILTHY in between, then it's nice to blast off the big stuff with one before a normal soap and water wash.

As a bonus, you can hook up a cannon/lance to it to basically turn your soap mixture into a shaving cream consistency when you spray it. That adds to the fun factor. :)

SgtK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought an $80 dirt devil brand power washer from Menard's. Its small and works for the small jobs I needed it for like spraying mud of the frame and wheel wells and for cleaning the travel trailer. it does have the soap canister also.

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
I have a really good craftsman p washer. BUt I just used it when I clean the exterior of the house now. When washing the dually...its a PITA to wash a little bit, then go start the washer, rinse, turn it of, then go back and wash.....it gets a little much at times....plus mine doesnt see rain or anything so at most I have dust on mine....so a pressure washer isnt necessary really, but its nice to have it for other things around the house....house, driveway, etc. cleaning.

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would get a gas one if at all.

77PW440

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here in the Northeast a gas pressure washer is nice to have to wash the salt away. During the winter I rinse the vehicles when weather permits. I use touch less car washes to take care of the exterior. Never used it on the engine compartment. Just the garden hose.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here in the Northeast a gas pressure washer is nice to have to wash the salt away. During the winter I rinse the vehicles when weather permits. I use touch less car washes to take care of the exterior. Never used it on the engine compartment. Just the garden hose.

what he said

a large percentage of problems on today's vehicles are related to moisture intrusion into connectors whether it be male/female plugs, fuse panels, you name it

use only spray cleaner/de-greasers, hand rub with a long haired, long handled brush and then rinse with a garden hose set of 'mist or shower'

your wallet will thank you for it

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I've had an electric Home Depot house brand (husky maybe? can't remember right off) for 10 years. I've used it for cleaning the driveway, the siding, the porch, the deck, the vehicle undercarriages, the engine bays, my yard equipment, permanent filters, the dogs (kidding), shoot, anything I can think of. It's never broken down. The hose is wearing a bit so I'll have to replace it in the next year or so but for 10 years, it's been a great buy. They are useful for many things besides car cleaning.

As for the engine bay, I've been using one for that purpose for years on many different vehicles and haven't suffered any ill effects. Lucky? Maybe, or maybe it doesn't matter. The engine bays get hit a couple times a year and they all stay looking great. YMMV.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The main use my pressure washer gets is from my friends when they come over to borrow it. LOL
Jay

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would pass on this. Spend $3 on a car wash to use their high pressure to blast of nastiness. Then go home and wash it properly.

I've never found an electric pressure washer to be much of an improvement over a garden hose with a 'jet nozzle'. A gas pressure washer, they can do amazing things, but I'd rarely use it for the truck, great for cleaning decks, driveways and small children.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i use a 3200psi gas washer. works pretty good and with a good soap you'll almost never have to actually hand wash. they can and will strip paint tho so you have to be careful. most these days have adjustable pressure along with the different spray tips which will vary the pressure too

soldiercowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l 4x4 Tradesman crew cab
I use mine occasionally not to wash but to get mud off from wheel wells and undercarriage but nor as a wash. If you put on the wrong tip you can take the crome off of your bumper as well as your paint. I have a gas 3200psi general from lowes I use it more around house side walk driveway more than washing truck. I is a good one all metal made and assembled in usa paid $300 2 years ago had to order online from lowes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

cptmoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid $250 for a Honda powered gas model, somewhere around 2800 psi. I LOVE it. It's been way more useful than I ever thought it would be.

VerMoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
pressure washer

http://www.thegoodgears.com/Tiller/
We are in the process of building a new branch and my boss wants me to buy us a new pressure washer for cleaning some spots. Can you please send me some advice in choosing a good brand? Thanks!