Tips on using rubbing compound please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I bought a tub of Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound tonight, figured I would try it and see if it can help get rid of the scratches on the sides of my bed. I also bought a bag of applicator pads and a bundle of terry cloth rags. Any tips on doing this? This is the first time I have done this type of thing...

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very carefully... If you only have fine scratches you'll want to use a polishing compound. the rubbing compound will be to coarse. If any of those scratches are down through primer, rubbing compound won't help either, you'll need touch up paint first.

Start with a small spot and apply the compound as the directions indicate, carefully rub into the paint till it hazes over. Next apply polishing compound and repeat the process, followed by polish, then wax. You should see the paint regain it's shine as you use progressively finer compounds (polish).