Touching up black

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradw177

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just traded my gmc for another ram. 2015 black pearl metallic. Has a couple scratches that I think will buff out and one small spot that needs touch up. Anyone recommend a decent brand to use for small areas that may blend well?

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dr Colorchip is awesome for chip repair. Call them and give your paint code. Videos on YouTube

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard DR colorchip is pretty good, havent used it myself though

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the best touch up paint I have ever found. IMHO it matches better than the factory touch up you buy from the dealer.
Touch Up Paint and accessories | AutomotiveTouchup
Jay

Looks promising... I usually buy a pint of paint from a body shop and mix with clear coat. this is much cheaper. I gotta try this next time

To OP... if you go this route, whether you buy 1/2, 2 ounce bottle or the paint pen, also buy the same size in the clear coat... mix equal amounts of paint with clear coat and apply over chip.

Before mixing...
1st) Cut out a small piece of 600/800 grit sandpaper the size of a pencil eraser, place over chip, using the pencils eraser and spin, roughing the chips surface for adhesion

2nd) clean chip area with rubbing alcohol

3rd) Take a index card or similar and cut hole just a little bigger than the chip. Place the cut out hole over chip, apply paint with tooth pick, cotton ear swab, etc... take a old credit, grocery card or similar and wipe across index card hole, this will level the paint a few mils above the painted surface.

4th) Let cure for 24 - 48 hrs, then wet sand the repaired area with 2000 grit wet sandpaper, soak paper in water for 10 minutes prior, to soften paper, prevents scratching the paint with edges of paper. Take your time and sand until level with painted surface of vehicle

5th) Polish with your favorite compound and pad to remove any scratches from wet sand paper and blend paint chip repair with the rest of the painted surface

Edit.... Ensure that rubbing alcohol is thoroughly dried before applying paint, otherwise " solvent popping" may occur (bubble)..Ideally, the panel should be at least 70 degrees for whatever curing time specifications are..

Note: Instead of 600/800 grit paper, you may want to use 2000 grit instead. You do not want to sand past the primer to bare metal. Bare metal prep requires etching primer, although I have used regular primer in the past w/o any issues.

I prefer to use the index car method with aerosol paint, it's just too expensive that way.. The finished end result is far better than dabbing paint
Also, if you do prefer aerosol spray can,automotive paint stores can pressurize aerosol cans with whatever flavor paint you dare

Last edited: