wash mit or terry cloth to wash black?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
what is the best thing to use to wash my new black truck. i used a soft hand mit before on my 07 but i was wondering if there is something better to use that wont collect dirt and scratch my new rig.

Cobayashi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the only thing that i use is microfiber everything if you hit sam's club you can get a big pack of them for like around $20. the benefits of microfiber are unlike terry or using a wash mitt microfiber fibers are so fine that they actually lift dirt off the surface and clean at the same time leaving no scratches or fine swirl marks at all. i have been using microfiber for 10+ years now and i have never had fine scratches in a car finish. also another thing that you may want to think of is purchasing a good microfiber drying towel it does the same. most of the time you don't end up with fine scratches from washing, you get them from drying absorber towels are great for glass but terrible for paint because they just smear fine dirt particles around even though you washed you vehicle. using a microfiber drying towel lifts these contaminants in the towel and dry's at the same time and also buffs at the same time.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
A high quality synthetic wash pad or a natural Merino Wool mitt are the only things that should touch your truck to maintain a swirl-free finish.

We offer both of them here:

Adam's Professional Wash Pad

Adam's Merino Wool Mitt

Check out this video on how to properly perform a two bucket wash:

[yt]RZ-Myuj4llE[/yt]

Last edited:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
^^^ What Nick said ^^^

Remember, 90%+ of the damage you do to your paint is at wash/dry time.

You want something that allows the dirt to get sucked up away from the paint, yet cleans out easily. I prefer Adams Synthetic wash pads over the Merino Wool mitt (I have the Wool Mitt). I'll do a wipe with one side and then a wipe with the other, stick it in the bucket with plain water and grit guard, scrub so the dirt falls out of it, then pull out, wring to release water onto ground, then dip it in the soap bucket also with a grit guard, scrub and then wring out and then repeat...

The MF pads aren't porous enough to allow the dirt to hide up inside it. It just grinds it into the paint.

Chris

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wool wash mitts all the way. Always keep it clean, NEVER let it touch the ground and use two buckets; one for rinsing the mitt after each wash swipe and the other with the warm soapy water to actually wash the car. (the grit guard Chewy mentioned goes in the rinse bucket)

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Wool wash mitts all the way. Always keep it clean, NEVER let it touch the ground and use two buckets; one for rinsing the mitt after each wash swipe and the other with the warm soapy water to actually wash the car. (the grit guard Chewy mentioned goes in the rinse bucket)

It goes in BOTH of my buckets! It's a buffer to keep the dirt at the bottom of the bucket away from the pad.

Last edited:

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you really care that much about your black finish, I wouldn't use any OTC mitt. Hit up autogeek, or supplier's website (Adams, etc.).

I've never owned black. I use Home Depot grout sponges for my hand washes. I have for years. Google it. :) They are excellent ay retaining suds, and releasing dirt. For ONR washes, I used a quality MF cloth -- as recommended by Optimum.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that was enough info for me to buy a nice mitt :) thanks guys!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Tuffguy707

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
wow thanks guys. you are great help:worthy:

OP
OP
Tuffguy707

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
ok new question.... how soon do i wax the new truck and what is the best wax to keep it looking new and do i use the foam pads like i was told by someone im not sure of or do i use something else?

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
If you really care that much about your black finish, I wouldn't use any OTC mitt. Hit up autogeek, or supplier's website (Adams, etc.).

I've never owned black. I use Home Depot grout sponges for my hand washes. I have for years. Google it. :) They are excellent ay retaining suds, and releasing dirt. For ONR washes, I used a quality MF cloth -- as recommended by Optimum.

Agreed. Grout sponges all day long.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
I'm glad that Nick said use the wool mit on the black paint. I'm gonna start with that the next wash I do.

YIMBROKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I use 2 buckets and 2 mitts. A wash pad for the lower areas and a merino wool MIT for the upper half. All adams products of course!

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
ok new question.... how soon do i wax the new truck and what is the best wax to keep it looking new and do i use the foam pads like i was told by someone im not sure of or do i use something else?

"Best" wax is an awfully broad question.

The best wax we offer is the Patriot Wax. It's a concourse-level wax, comes in a custom billet pot, is part of a limited production run of 250 units, is hand poured when you order it for maximum freshness, and we also donate $25 of each one purchased to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. That's the best wax we have. :)

We also have Buttery Wax, which is a liquid version that's super easy to use and has fair longevity.

Siting between Buttery and Patriot is our Americana Paste Wax, definitely our most popular wax. It's a paste so you'll get great longevity out of it, but it's still easy to use. Gives a nice warmth to the paint as well.

That about sums it up as far as our waxes go. You could also opt for a sealant, but that's probably for another thread. ;)

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8

Clay and wax your vehicle RIGHT AWAY!!! I drove my new RAM home, and didn't drive it for 2 weeks while I was cleaning, claying, sealing and taking care of the interior.

Daily driver or garage queen?

IMO, for the cost, ease of use, and longevity, you can't beat Adams Quick Sealant. Sealants will almost always last longer than a "wax", especially in a hot climate.

I have every LSP Adams sells and IMO for a DD, Quick Sealant is the winner.

I have yet to use my Patriot. It's just hanging out in the fridge waiting for the G8 to hit non DD status. :(

My suggestion if you're thinking about trying Adams products is to watch their videos of how to properly take care of your vehicle to keep it looking new for as long as possible. It will teach you things you'd have never thought of. :waytogo:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go to autogeek and look up the definitions of wax and sealants. They both have different functions. Autogeek explains their use and talks about the results you can expect. They also talk about many different products they offer so you can pick the one that best suits your needs. Autopia is a worldwide detailer site that you can check out. You can read about the products that professional detailers use, why they use them and the results they achieve. You can also ask questions about various products that they use and recommend. Many of them don't sell individual products so they are not "fanboys" for certain products to the exclusion of all others.
Jay

ihnken33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok... wow. I've been washing vehicles wrong for almost 17 years now.

Well, at least now I know, and as they say in G.I. Joe, knowing is half the battle. I doubt I will ever be able to do everything needed all the time to keep my black truck in pristine look, I just take comfort in the fact that I can take steps to do things in a more correct fashon. Good thing I have only washed the truck twice.

Now for my next question, with the height of the ram trucks, how do you get the top of the vehicle? Even from the bed of the truck and me being 6 foot 2 inches tall, I can't really reach everywhere. I do not have nerf bars, or side steps, so I assume a ladder? the 2nd time I washed the truck, I stood on the tri fold tanneau cover and that helped, but man, it's a chore washing this thing with the sheer height of it. It's certianly not my 97 Dakota or my 09 Malibu.

Cobayashi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
give IBIZ wax a try, its the official wax of corvette. comes off if you make a oops on plastic and can be used as rainx on windows, bathrooms and so on. been using that for 13-15 years now works like a champ.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye