Wax Brand Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Adams Polishes!! www.adamspolishes.com They have a cleaning product for every part of your vehicle. Interior, exterior, soaps, protectants, clay bars, sealants, swirl removal, orbitals, orbital pads, etc. etc. etc. It will give your vehicle a professional show room quality shine. You can't get their stuff from the auto parts store and they have a 110% satisfaction guarantee. I've had professional detailers ask me who does my car, and I said myself! Hands down the best products I've ever used!!

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone. Just youtubed how to use the clay bar and that seems pretty straight forward. All i need is some nice weather and free time and it should come out nice! Obviously I'm a first timer lol but I want to do this the right way!

Side note: can I use that polish on the wheels? I know they looked nice and glossy when i drove it off the lot from the dealer. I'd like to get them looking like that again.

Should i clay bar it everytime as well or would i be able to get away with a polish, sealant and wax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After you wash and dry your truck, take a zip lock baggie and put your hand in it, rub the surface of your truck lightly--if it feels like sandpaper then you know the surface is not clean and you need to clay bar it. I prefer to use a Nano towel instead of a clay bar, they last longer, their easier to use and when you need to clean it you just rinse it out in the sink. A clay bar and/or a Nano towel MAY leave small scratches in the surface and this is why you should polish before applying a sealant. The polish is what "corrects" the paint by removing the swirls and small scratches. You can polish your wheels and then apply a good sealant and then a wax if you like. It makes the wheels look a lot better and they are a lot easier to clean. Depending on where you park and if you park outside all the time will determine how often you have to clay bar. Just use the "baggie" test and that should be a guide for you. I know there have been lots of suggestions on products, as I told you there would be, but my favorites are Wolfgang 3.0 sealant and Collinite 845 wax. As a weekly detailer I like to use Opti Spray Car Wax after every wash.
Jay

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotcha. Thanks again!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Adams for sure

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After you wash and dry your truck, take a zip lock baggie and put your hand in it, rub the surface of your truck lightly--if it feels like sandpaper then you know the surface is not clean and you need to clay bar it.

Actually just washed it today and tried the plastic bag method. I can feel some very fine bumps so I'm going to use the clay bar when it comes time to detail.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been reading about the clay bar and it says to try and keep in moistened? So should I wait until I'm ready to detail the truck before i buy the clay bar kit? Will it go bad if i let it sit in the packaging before use and/or in between use for weeks/months at a time?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Usually packaged in a plastic bag and in a sealed container so it shouldn't "go bad". Never left one out in the open for any length of time just sitting on the work bench, so I really don't know. Read about the Nano towels on autogeek and see what you think of them.
Jay

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will do. I wouldn't leave the clay bar out either, just in the original packaging and stored somewhere out of sunlight. I'll look into the Nano towel as well.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like Pull Ya mentioned about the nano towels a lot of brands are coming out with alternatives to clay bars like pads/mitts etc. haven't tried these personally yet but plan to soon.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have tried the nano pads but always found some spots that they could not quite get always had to go back over with clay. However the nano towels are soooooo much faster that even with using them and then going back to some spots with clay will save you more than half the time. Make sure you use lube with the clay. Also you might want to consider a product like Iron-X before you clay. It will pull out the brake dust and rail dust that may be in your paint. If you're going to take the time to polish and seal then it is worth it IMO. Take a look at the thread about my truck I got new and did pretty much all that you're planning on. I went a little overboard on the coatings but I love the wet look and beading that they provide. Every surface on my truck has a coating. Rims, fender wells, glass, trim, paint, headlights, chrome, etc.

2016 Ram 1500 Detailed with McKee's 37 Products & Coated with CSL & EXO

036_zpsyvylelv8.jpg
041_zps8v3my9oa.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anyone recommend an affordable/reliable polisher/buffer or should i just go with the meguiar's DA polishing system? Looking for one that's around 6" in diameter. I think I have most of the other products all picked out.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 6" and 3" Griots garage polisher. In their price range they're going to be your best option.

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone recommend an affordable/reliable polisher/buffer or should i just go with the meguiar's DA polishing system? Looking for one that's around 6" in diameter. I think I have most of the other products all picked out.

Meguiar's DA, Porter Cable 7424XP, Griot's 6" polisher - pretty much the same across the board, they're all good and will serve your purposes.

The Flex/Makita other stuff are non-DA, which requires a bit more care and skill to work with. I'd stick with a DA for the hassle-free use and better pad selection.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/74864-best-dual-action-polisher-rupes-griots-porter-cable-meguiars.html

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use a Porter Cable--they made it idiot proof, just for me----:)
Jay

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm going to go with the Meguiar's DA power system. From the looks of it, it comes with a polishing pad, so I am going to get their wax pads. I don't see any specific pads for applying the sealant, would I just use one of the polishing pads for that? or just use a microfiber towel?

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always use a foam applicator or pad to apply sealant/wax.
Jay

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45