Wax, sealer... or sealer, wax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the best method for properly protecting the paint? I'm not new to waxing, but I wasn't aware there was a sealer process as well.

Thanks

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sealant can be used in lieu of a wax. There really isn't an argument to use wax if you are using a good sealant, but if you insist apply the wax AFTER the sealant (but note that most sealants, like the Blackfire Wet Diamond I use, recommend a 24 hour cure time before washing or applying new layers or other products).

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sealant generally last longer than waxes.

Waxes supposedly give a higher deeper gloss shine.

I can't tell the difference in shine between wax & sealant so I generally stick with sealants for durability.

One wax that is famous for its durability though is Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do sealant then top it off with wax

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As already mentioned, sealant is longer lasting than wax. I use Adam's products and use their paint sealant followed by glaze followed by wax. While layering isn't always suggested or even necessary, Adams products allow for it and I think it gives amazing results. If you choose to detail often you should only need to seal 2 a year as long as you are waxing over it. You can also use a product like Adam's H2O Guard and Gloss which is a paint sealant you apply while drying after washing your vehicle. The H2O lasts a month or lil longer. It really all boils down to how frequently you want to deal with cleaning and waxing or sealing your car. There also are multiple levels of wax that last a few days (speed wax) to waxed that last months. I would suggest doing a good paint sealant and occasionally waxing for good results.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As already mentioned, sealant is longer lasting than wax.

My very first wax about a month ago was Meguiar's clay bar and cleaner wax. I'm assuming because I'm not using a sealer, and because I microfiber towel dry, this is probably why after about 4 hand washes it already seems like it needs another full wax job.

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My very first wax about a month ago was Meguiar's clay bar and cleaner wax. I'm assuming because I'm not using a sealer, and because I microfiber towel dry, this is probably why after about 4 hand washes it already seems like it needs another full wax job.

I'm not familiar with cleaner wax, but it's probably a speed wax. If you use a carnauba paste wax that will last a few months. It all varies on weather, if you garage the vehicle, and how frequently you wash and how. If you're using a synthetic/hybrid wax I'd wax 1 a month. If you're using a speed wax like Adam's Buttery wax, I'd wax 2-4 times a month.

PS you should ALWAYS clay before waxing, especially if it's a wax applied with an applicator or needs to be rubbed in. The spray type waxs don't necessarily require clay since more than likely the liquid will raise contaminates for your towel to take off and help to avoid swirling or scratching the paint.

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sealant generally last longer than waxes.

Waxes supposedly give a higher deeper gloss shine.

I can't tell the difference in shine between wax & sealant so I generally stick with sealants for durability.

One wax that is famous for its durability though is Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.

I normally get about 6 months of solid protection with the Collinite 845.
Good stuff imo.