Wax vs Sealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the best thing to protect the paint from the environment, Sealer or wax?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sealant is a man made product that lasts for about 6 months, depending on how often you wash your truck and whether you park inside or outside. Wax is a natural product that will last about 3-4 weeks depending on the above circumstances. Many people use sealant as a "base" and after it has cured for about 24 hours, they top it with a wax for more depth and protection. If I had a choice of one or the other I'd go with sealant. For more detailed information about the two products you can go to "autogeek" for a more in depth explanation.
Jay

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What he said. Sealant is a better protectant. Goes on first then most guys will wax over top of that. I've found sealants don't have the depth and shine so I go over top with my wax of choice to achieve that.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I can also attest to that sealant doesn't have the depth that wax does.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
A wax such as a carnauba wax will give you a deeper wetter look especially on reds & blacks however Sealants will last much longer and offer more protection.
Wax........
Adam's Americana Premium Carnauba Paste Car Wax is the car wax of choice once you have knocked down all of the swirl marks, finessed your paint to perfection, and now want to achieve a deep, lasting shine.

As you apply Adam's Americana Premium Carnauba Paste Car Wax, your senses come alive with a soft, soothing aroma. So, go ahead and day dream a little about your favorite summertime experience on the beach, at the lake, or where ever it takes you. When you get back, the shine on your car will have you smiling all over again.

You And Your Car Deserve Adam's Americana Premium Carnauba Paste Car Wax. Adam's Americana Premium Carnauba Paste Car Wax is made in very limited quantities by an American working man, for the American working man or woman! Quantities are limited because Adam’s Americana is a hand-crafted product, and the quality is second to none . Guaranteed!

Similar grade waxes are selling for $100, $175 even $1,500, but none of them will out-shine Adam’s Americana. We back that claim with a 110% money back guarantee.

Included is Adam's Americana Premium Car Wax Applicator. This applicator makes Adam's Americana Premium Carnauba Paste Car Wax glide on for a perfect and easy buff off. You will agree, this is the most effective wax applicator ever made.
Sealant......
At Adam's we're always working on improving our products and a large part of that improvement process is listening to feedback from our customers. The development of Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant is another example of our team taking customer input and making improvements to our product line.

Customers told us they wanted a product that didn't require long cure times and could be applied by hand for the times they didn't want to pull out their machine polisher and pads to apply protection. Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant delivers on both points!

APPLY BY MACHINE OR BY HAND - still color coordinated to the Adam's Machine Sealant and Waxing Pads, Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant goes on quickly and easily using your Flex, Cyclo, Porter Cable or any similar detailing machine. For those not working with a machine the new formula goes on just as easily by hand, using one of our soft foam or microfiber applicator pads. The formula spreads evenly and easily, sets up quickly, and the residues remove easier than ever.

NO MORE LONG CURE TIMES - our previous generation product required 30 or more minutes to setup and wasn't ready to be topped with other products for at least a day. Now, with Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant, you can apply and remove the product as fast as it hazes up and layer immediately for additional protection and stunning results. Now you can apply our most durable product in a matter of minutes, not days!

The acrylic polymer formulation provides some of our most durable protection to date, withstanding the harshest seasons and harshest detergents better than any product we've offered before. The benefits don't stop with the longevity alone... independent testing had customers raving about the gloss and rich, rock hard, shine left behind by Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant.

Backed with Adam's 110% Satisfaction Guarantee, we're sure you'll find that Adam's Liquid Paint Sealant will be your new 'go-to' product for keeping your paint protected and looking its best

Adam's Waxes & Sealant | The Best Car Wax For Black Cars

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never used any, so this answer is just a guess. Wax does not have any abrasive it in. You should have already used a clay bar or a Nano towel first before you go to the next step which would be polish( if necessary to remove any scratches left by the clay bar or Nano towel). Polish also gives the paint the "luster". Next is the sealant, then the wax. I think that a "Cleaner Wax" may contain some small amount of abrasive which in theory would clean your truck's surface and wax it at the same time. If this is correct, IMHO I'd use the above tried and true method instead of using a Cleaner wax. I think your results would be much better even if it took longer.
Jay

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would the cleaner eventually wear down clear coat?

I used Carnuba wax for the first time... damn my baby is smooth.. but covered in pollen =(

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You'd have to use that cleaner for a long long time before you would go through the clear coat(depending on the amount of abrasive in the cleaner). The only "cure" for pollen is to park in the garage until the pollen season is done---
Jay

Last edited:

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Want something that gives you great shine AND protection from the weather for atleast 6 months (maybe longer)

Its called collinite 845 insulator wax

Dont believe me, go on youtube, search for it. watch the reviews

I have tried it and pretty much wont use anything else ever again

it goes on really really easy, comes off even easier than it goes on

1 bottle will last you a long time....im talking years

it will protect and shine and last last last

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure the Collinite is warm. It will thicken in the bottle if it gets cold. Best stuff going. I use it to top my Wolfgang 3.0 sealant.
Jay

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Make sure the Collinite is warm. It will thicken in the bottle if it gets cold. Best stuff going. I use it to top my Wolfgang 3.0 sealant.
Jay

yes i forgot to mention that

should be the consistency of thick water

thanks pull ya for the reminder, it slipped my mind

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have a pic of the Dentgoalie?
Jay

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Getting a guy to wash, clay, polish, seal, and wax mine here in a couple of days. And detail the inside. Should be around $200-250 and he said it'll last for around 2 years, guaranteed. This will be done AFTER the body shop wet sands and polishes out the dust nibs they left all in my clear coat last week from my deer damage....never should've been given to me like that. Didn't notice it until I got her home because I was looking at the ding to make sure it was gone and that was it. Plus she was in the shade and you can't see them until the sun hits it, then you can't help but see them.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ Do you know what products they are going to use? Lasting 2 years is a long time for most products unless he is going to use some type of Opti coat or something similar.
Jay

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
^^^^ Do you know what products they are going to use? Lasting 2 years is a long time for most products unless he is going to use some type of Opti coat or something similar.
Jay

I'm not sure. I haven't been to his house yet. But I've seen two trucks he has done and man do they shine. Weeks after he has done them. A buddy of mine bought a used black chevy and the paint and small scratched and swirl marks everywhere from the previous owners washing and driving it off road. Once this guy got done with it, it looked like a mirror. You could literally shave in the reflection.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Generally speaking and not knowing anything about the pricing in your area or any type relationship you may have with the person doing to work, the work you described with a coating that will last a couple of years would normally run about $500-$600 from a professional detailer. I guess that is the reason I asked about what kind of products he was using. However, in the end, your the customer and your the one that needs to be satisfied. Just my .02
Jay

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Once I run by his house this weekend, I'll let you know what he plans to use. But he gets all his stuff from AutoGeek. The wool clothes, dirt grates, two buckets, soap, etc.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They sell some good stuff and they have a large variety of products.
Jay

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I forgot to respond to ya on here Pull Ya. He uses this stuff called C Quartez. He told me $350 to do my truck cause the driver's side of the bed needs a few coats of polish and buffing which will take a while. The local body shop fixed a deer ding and had to clear coat it and screwed it up. But like I said, he will wash, clay bar, polish/buff, and do the sealant all for $350. He said I won't have to wax it for two years. Poured a bottle of water on his, which he did in June, and it was dry as a bone.