White Residue on Black Plastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
When I brought my new Ram home in 2014. I was on vacation at the time. I gave her a good bath and pulled her into the garage and closed the door. The next morning I woke up and began applying Chemical Guys Butter Wax to her paint. 1 coat led to 2 and 2 led to 4 coats of warm wax to her paint.

Well after a bit I noticed I was a bit sloppy in some places especially on the bottom edges of the plastic bed rail protectors. I have tryed every thing I can find to remove the white residue left over from the wax. Nothing works.

There are also some small spots through out the truck that the black plastic is cursed with white wax residue. Really looks like a Retard waxed the truck {I am now believing there actually was}.

My questions I guess are these-->Is there any actual products sold that will remove this white residue?

Also is there a wax on the market now that does not leave this white residue?

If not I will in the future just keep a good 1/2" away from all the plastic in future waxing adventures.

Thanks Fellas!

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thank You! I will give them a look.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After seeing it suggested on here, Dawn dishsoap did the trick for me. Use a small brush and put some elbow grease into it.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Peanut butter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did this with an old toothbrush. Seemed to work until the oil residue dried and most of the white residue just appeared back.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
After seeing it suggested on here, Dawn dishsoap did the trick for me. Use a small brush and put some elbow grease into it.

If the eraser does not work I will try this with the tooth brush.

After this issue is dealt with, I will begin the search for a wax that does not create this.

Looking now at the CG Black Light then Jeatseal 109. Then in between using their Hybrid V7 high gloss sealant in between for quick protection.

Last edited:

Hemi_1340R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use collinite 845 and it doesn't leave anything on the trim pieces

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use collinite 845 and it doesn't leave anything on the trim pieces

I think that the texture of the trim is the key with Collinite 845. Some people have no issues while others report the chalky residue.

Collinite 845 on trim

Collinite does not recommend the use of any of its product on rubber or black plastic trim...probably because of the mixed results.

FAQs » Collinite

Reactions: SyN

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can use Mothers Back to Black on it and it will remove some of the white residue and make the plastic shine.

What I use is Protectall near any black plastic. You can get it on just about anything on your vehicle and it won't leave a white residue. My truck being black, white residue on the black plastic looks awful! So what I usually do is keep wax about 1-2in away from any black plastic and then use Protectall up to the plastic. Then I finish the plastic off with back to black. Been working great for me so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks! I will look into all the products. I will agree. I will attempt to keep a slight gab between the wax and plastic from now on. A all black truck with white powdery residue on the plastic trim just looks like Chit! The only place I seemed to acquire this residue was on the bed rail covers. The pencil eraser did a great job.

Thanks to All!

jusalt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
One way to avoid the residue with any wax would be to use a solvent/silcone based dressing on the plastic before waxing. That way if you get any wax on there you will be able to wash it right off without the white stuff. I would recommend AutoMagic magic Dressing. It is easy to apply and lasts a long time, plus you will be able to wax your entire truck. I hope this info helped.

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a product from my cycling mechanics background called White Lightning Clean streak , it is a metal prep that is plastic safe there are lots of more sensitive plastic and Cf in cycling than there are in automotive, also good for brake dust and rotor cleaning , deal cal residue, etc

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Try Megs Ultimate Quik Wax. It will not leave any white residue on plastic trims.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks again fellas for all your replies!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mask the plastic parts before you wax. One row of tape should do it.
Jay