'05 diesel VERY cold winter starting question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Got an '05 RAM this summer. Like it a lot.

I live in MN where we usually get several days each winter when overnight lows are 20 below zero or worse. No room in garage for the truck.

I've had 7.3L fords in the past and all I ever had to do with them is cycle the glow plugs twice to start in severe cold. A block heater was not required.

Any tricks to starting the Cummins in similar conditions. I know to keep batteries in good condition and have winterized fuel.

thx in advance for advice. Mark in MN

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Get a block heater and use it. It will do a lot towards any starting problems you might have.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Cycle the grid heater twice as it should start
5w40 might not be a bad idea or plugging it into a timer set maybe 2 hours before you leave
These trucks use 750w heaters and theres no reason to plug it in the entire night
We don't see anything that low but it should still start even without being plugged it it just won't like it that much

OP
OP
O

oldryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
THx for replies. " it just won't like it that much" - yea, the 7.3L didn't like the cold much either. rattled like crazy for a couple of minutes after 1st starting in the cold.

when it's really cold I do try to plug it in but I don't always have that option.

LETHAL GTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Espar! When I get enough money together I am installing one. Espar = self contained diesel fired recirculating block heater.
Park it in the middle of tim buck two, set the timer for 2 hours before you want to start it. Come out windows are clear and coolant is warm.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I spent 7 years in Northern Alberta, 3 with my 5.9 Cummins... At below -30C, you definitely need to plug it in, anything above that, if you plug it in, it'll be happier when it start it, although if you don't the recommendations to run the grid heater a couple/few times before starting will do you fine. Get your batteries checked too... nothing will kill your truck faster than a cracked/broken battery plate.

OP
OP
O

oldryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
everyone, thx. sounds like it'll be fine if I treat it the same way I did the 7.3l.