diesel auto accelerate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waywardtravel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO
O.K. sorry about the book in advance. I just bought a 2004 quad cab 5.9 HO 4speed automatic export truck.. It did not run when I bought it. I plugged in a scanner and read two TPS codes 2021, 2022. First sprayed a tiny bit of ether and she started and idled good. Because the truck ran away on the previous owner I did not touch the pedal yet.
TODAY, disconnected the batt's I installed a TPS that I bought in the states.
I was able to clear the codes and was able to start it but only with a tiny bit of ether again. A pump ran for about 25 seconds after turning the key on. After shut down this pump noise did not return when restarting. The cold engine idle was good but worsened like a miss as it warmed up. I checked the infamous wire on the AC compressor and it looked good. With the scanner plugged in I noticed RPM on the cluster did not raise until about 1000RPM. It followed but about 500RPM slower than actual RPM. IN NUETRAL OR PARK I brought the RPM up slowly and right about 1500 it begins to rise on it's own. I turned the key off to stop it from full run away. I restarted now warm engine still needed a third crank over or a half second shot of ether on the third try. no ether previous two. This time I put it in gear and tested the brakes. This thing was parked for two years. The engine does not miss or it hides it better under load. If I only rev to about 1500RPM then let off the throttle quickly it decels "choppy" “neutral or 1st gear” the tps according to my scanner is sending a perfect signal to return to idle just the engine comes down choppy. Under load it seems I could drive it without run away but it tries to above 1500RPM or so but it's balanced by the load and slowly almost like all fuel being cut instantaneously comes down in about four or five cycles or pushes. It blows no smoke at all on start up black or grey. It triggers no DTC's but WILL run away in neutral. Any help is greatly appreciated I’m new to this common rail electronic stuff.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Welcome Doug, I'm clueless on the diesel, someone will come long to help. Where are you located?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Cool, we don't have anyone in South America. Maybe you can post your flag on our member's map?

OP
OP
W

waywardtravel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO
Cool, we don't have anyone in South America. Maybe you can post your flag on our member's map?

I can't as my country of residence is USofA. Panamanians would be very offended by that because the USA flag flew here in Panama for many many years.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I can't as my country of residence is USofA. Panamanians would be very offended by that because the USA flag flew here in Panama for many many years.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. Here on the RamForum there is a "member's Section" it has a world map. We post where we live. I live part of the year in the Philippines and have a flag posted there. I only meant for you to post a flag on the member's map.
Ramforum Member Map

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I'm 12 hours out, so I can pick either farthest East or West. lol

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
O.K. sorry about the book in advance. I just bought a 2004 quad cab 5.9 HO 4speed automatic export truck.. It did not run when I bought it. I plugged in a scanner and read two TPS codes 2021, 2022. First sprayed a tiny bit of ether and she started and idled good. Because the truck ran away on the previous owner I did not touch the pedal yet.
TODAY, disconnected the batt's I installed a TPS that I bought in the states.
I was able to clear the codes and was able to start it but only with a tiny bit of ether again. A pump ran for about 25 seconds after turning the key on. After shut down this pump noise did not return when restarting. The cold engine idle was good but worsened like a miss as it warmed up. I checked the infamous wire on the AC compressor and it looked good. With the scanner plugged in I noticed RPM on the cluster did not raise until about 1000RPM. It followed but about 500RPM slower than actual RPM. IN NUETRAL OR PARK I brought the RPM up slowly and right about 1500 it begins to rise on it's own. I turned the key off to stop it from full run away. I restarted now warm engine still needed a third crank over or a half second shot of ether on the third try. no ether previous two. This time I put it in gear and tested the brakes. This thing was parked for two years. The engine does not miss or it hides it better under load. If I only rev to about 1500RPM then let off the throttle quickly it decels "choppy" “neutral or 1st gear” the tps according to my scanner is sending a perfect signal to return to idle just the engine comes down choppy. Under load it seems I could drive it without run away but it tries to above 1500RPM or so but it's balanced by the load and slowly almost like all fuel being cut instantaneously comes down in about four or five cycles or pushes. It blows no smoke at all on start up black or grey. It triggers no DTC's but WILL run away in neutral. Any help is greatly appreciated I’m new to this common rail electronic stuff.

Ok first of don't use ether you asking for a explsion in the intake. The grid heater get hot enough to ignite ether easy!

Second step hard starting is a injector issues and you need to have them pull out and bench tested. Also if the injectors are leaking then there is most likely diesel fuel in the crankcase you might pull the dipstick and sniff check the oil for fuel smell or drowing oil in the crankcase.

ladale21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins HO
2nd that same problem, and before you ask, your diesel seeps around the ring usually during crank and after shutdown since the injector continues to leak until rail pressie is whack to where it holds, I'm told that the runaway is a sidesffect of this dice the diesel eases the oil, and the higher rpm sucks the excess, you can get your injectors from anywanwhere online, but I'm told, ramhunter9 on here is the person to see pm him about it best prices I have seen for bosh remans

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I will 3rd that issue.

To check if you are "making oil," the easiest way is to pull your dipstick, wipe it on a paper towel and then let the paper towel sit for about 20 minutes and see if there is a sort of halo effect around the oil hinting that you are leaking diesel into the oil.

The Common Rail trucks are pretty known for eating injectors, so that's where I would start. Like said earlier, do not use ether, bad ju ju lol

Good Luck! And welcome to Ramforum!

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
2nd that same problem, and before you ask, your diesel seeps around the ring usually during crank and after shutdown since the injector continues to leak until rail pressie is whack to where it holds, I'm told that the runaway is a sidesffect of this dice the diesel eases the oil, and the higher rpm sucks the excess, you can get your injectors from anywanwhere online, but I'm told, ramhunter9 on here is the person to see pm him about it best prices I have seen for bosh remans

Thanks. And not only can I get new reman's I can get brand new from stock to 200hp. Any brand also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Does sound like Injectors, from what it sounds like with the starting.

But I'd definitely talk to Dave, he's the man!