Engine stutters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bleachbum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Deisel 24 valve
1998 3500 Diesel 5.9 24 valve turbo. While I am running to engine will go through the gears OK as long as I don't go above 1800 on the tach. When I do the truck stutters before going in the next gear. Doesn't matter what gear. Weather doesn't matter, hot, cold, raining or dry. I have replaced the TPS and the OSS. After replacing these it seemed to be fine for about a week. If I am on the highway the truck will not maintain 65 when going up a slow hill, engine stutters and blows white smoke. What else can I try. I have access to a full repair shop, but not alot of cash. The truck has 116000 miles on it, 80% of that has been towing a fifth wheel trailer. (15000 pounds)

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Do you have any way to check your fuel pressure at those rpms?

3quarterTon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like vp heading south. Maybe the lift pump is starving the vp. If so fix it quickly. I would def check fuel pressure before and after vp

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sounds like fuel pressure or air in the fuel system on the first glance. But white smoke is an indicator for burning water. Let it stand overnight and unsrew your engine oil plug really slow to see if the first thing that comes out is water. If so you can call in for new head gaskets...