HELP New Cummins Owner I have a few questions!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Browningx01x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey there I just bought a 2005 dodge cummins it has 202,000 miles on it runs like a charm and its in great shape and only had one previous owner. My question is what maintenance should I expect to have to do to it? How long should the transmission last? Ball Joints? its completely stock any answers would be great! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Welcome and congratulations on the new truck!

Alright, let's start from the first one, Oil: I am an Amsoil and have many customers as well as me running the Amsoil EAO80 oil filter and Amsoil 15W40 Diesel and Marine Engine Oil for 25,000 miles and more. There are tons of other oil and filters as well. 7-10k miles between oil changes for the other stuff is a good interval. I would recommend Fleetguard filters for any of it. Valvoline Blue, Delo, and Rotella are all good options.

Your transmission: It depends, is it an auto? Is it stock? An easy way to check if it's a stock automatic transmission is to climb under and open up your torque convertor inspection plate. It is a cover at the front of the transmission where it bolts to the engine. A stock torque convertor is skinny and silver. Mine is blue, and you will find all sorts of others depending on the make. If you drive the truck normally, your transmission should last. Just keep up on the maintenance. OEM recommends 30,000 miles for ATF+4 and the filter, but you can go longer using a better fluid (Amsoil ATF or something similar).

Ball Joints/Front end parts:
My truck was purchased with 70,000 miles and soon after needed new front end parts. I am not at 130,000 miles on my truck and everything is doing great. When parts are replaced, just replace them with good quality parts and make sure they stay greased.

Another important one that you can't skip out on is your fuel filter. I don't recommend going any more than 10,000 miles in between changes. There are many options on this one, but the only 2 micron filter that fits in the factory housing is the Baldwin PF7977, so that is the ONLY one I will recommend to you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956