High EGTs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a smarty, Ice Box CAI, and 5" exhaust.

With the smart on the 130-160 HP tune...I could run at WOT and my EGTs would never go over 1400*

I just installed an Airdog 150gph lift pump this weekend. With the same tune, I pegged 1500* in a matter of secconds.

Obviously I'm getting A LOT more fuel...so I turned my tuner down to the 90HP...at WOT I still hit 1500* plus like it was nothing.

So...have I maxed my turbo out on fuel? I didn't think that stock injectors would push this much fuel to make my EGTs spike so fast.

I'm going with a bigger turbo sometime...but I'm just confused on why even with my tuner down I still run so hot. Could the previous owner have put bigger injectors in?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Something is wrong... I'm going to guess there is modified injectors in there. But I would be smart and pull them have them bench tested if possible. Double check to be sure you don't have a injector problem (cracked nozzle or some damage).

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ok so I shouldn't be having this high of EGTs? I didn't think so.

Damn it...guess I'll be pulling them and having them checked!

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I haven't installed the lift and bigger tires yet...thats going on tomorrow. This was just after my airdog install. Never got this high before

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Think you could of bumped the intercooler tube and made it loose ? Maybe you took it off some people will to get better access to things

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Intercooler tube is all in tack. I have my same boost number...same smoke out put...same everything but my EGTs. Nothing else was changed.

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You have a FP gauge ? have you adjusted the sitting on the air dog ?

How many miles on the truck ?

Something is not adding up AD should not of changed anything.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No FP guage...that is next on the list. The Airdog 150gph for the 05-present trucks are pre-set to 15psi...they cant be changed.

And the truck has 145,*** miles on it.

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So you did not have the in tank pump? I have the 165 and it is adjustable.

Truck runs fine other then that..You are at the right mileage for injectors to be to go out.Mine had 132k when mine went bad.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yes I had the intank pump. I got a intank pump delete thing that replaced my stock lift pump with just a lift straw( so I didn't have to drill a hole in my tank) And yes, the 165s are adjustable...the Airdog I 150gph isn't. Its pre-set to 15-17psi.

And I have 0 signs of sypmtoms of injector failure. No white smoke, oil level isn't rising, no hard start...nothing. Thats why I was thinking the PO installed larger sticks

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
When my girlfriends injectors went at 140k-ish I noticed that it was blowing black smoke more then it had before and there was a little more of a tapping sound
I would go back to the stock tune and go for a ride of your blowing smoke stock then there's an injector problem

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
But why would bad injectors make my EGTs spike so bad? And why would start right after I installed my Airdog?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The guys at the cummins shop tol my girlfriend had she kept driving it she probably would have melted a piston and were impressed that she recognized there was a problem since they've had several guys ignore the same proble

I wish she had an egt gauge so I could tell you a temp to compare

The added pressure on the high end might have been just enough to take out an injector that was on its last leg

It might not be an injector, but would definitely say go back to stock and see what it does instead of trying to chase it with the smarty

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'll do that in the morning and see what happens...I dont need to melt any pistons!

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
But why would bad injectors make my EGTs spike so bad? And why would start right after I installed my Airdog?

The world may never know lol.I would go back to stock tune and see what you got.If you got black smoke on a stock tune then that truck has got something laying in it you don't know about.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'll give it a shot and see what happens...I really don't feel like replacing injectors! lol

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
How much smoke is TO much smoke on stock setting?