I'm stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My truck in my sig...

At idle, if I pop the hood. I can hear a funny sound. It sounds like its coming from the turbo...

The sound is very hard to explain, and it is to faint to be caught on tape.

But it sounds like woom woom woom woom woom... almost like MT tires going down the road but VERY faint...

Any of the diesel experts wanna help... I've checked for shaft play and there virtualy is none (side to side, in and out)

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Is it the turbo fins rotating slowly, since its at idle? Or just the engine running?

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
See I dont know. lol It def doesn't sound like the engine running. I've narrowed it down to the turbo.

And I'm not sure if its supposed to make that sound or not? I've never had a turbo before.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Is it acting funny? I wouldn't think that would be a bad thing. It spinning is gonna make noise.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No truck runs like a top still...no rough idle, no stumbeling, no more turbo lag than before.

I hope its a good thing lol.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Just sounds like one of those normal noises that freak people out. Haha. But I'll let somebody else with a diesel confirm that. I know I like to listen to every little noise when my engine is running or I'm driving, and they all freak me out.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
^^^ you are correct sir...and this being my first diesel its kinda bugging me. I dont feel like destroying my $10k engine bc of my turbo!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ill check to see if my girlfriends does it next time I go somewhere. Cant say ive really payed to much attention for a sound like that

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I cant help , all I can hear is two 6" stacks screaming ..LOL

But lets think about this for a sec .. Did you remove your silencing ring ? What intake do you have ? Also just a thought .. check your exhaust manifold for a crack ... dodge manifolds are **** to crack .. reason why I replaced mine with aftermarket . When you say trubo lag ..that leads me to think there might be a crack .

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Depends on the air filter system too I bet... If you remove the air tube from the turbo the sound will lleave right? Like on my truck with the BHAF I've got a sure thump thump thump noise from the filter. But only when the filter is hooked up. Unhook it and its gone.

Give it a try... As long as the valves are adjusted properly and the rig is running straight and not missing then I wouldn't worry to much.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I cant help , all I can hear is two 6" stacks screaming ..LOL

But lets think about this for a sec .. Did you remove your silencing ring ? What intake do you have ? Also just a thought .. check your exhaust manifold for a crack ... dodge manifolds are **** to crack .. reason why I replaced mine with aftermarket . When you say trubo lag ..that leads me to think there might be a crack .

Yes the silencer ring is removed (by previous owner) And what I ment by turbo lag is that I have the same spool up as it did when I first bought it. With the stock turbo. Good thinking tho on the manifold...I check that out here in a little. Thanks

Depends on the air filter system too I bet... If you remove the air tube from the turbo the sound will lleave right? Like on my truck with the BHAF I've got a sure thump thump thump noise from the filter. But only when the filter is hooked up. Unhook it and its gone.

Give it a try... As long as the valves are adjusted properly and the rig is running straight and not missing then I wouldn't worry to much.

Well, I never had my engine running with out the filter on it. I'm scared to haha But I will try it for a few second and see if the sound goes away.

Thanks man

Uncle Ugly

Reaction score
If your worried about the turbo pull the intake tube and check the charger for end play.There may be a little movement in it but too much is a bad thing and look it over and see if you can see any signs of wear on the compressor blades.

Without a video to hear the sound or being able to hear it live its going to be tough for us to diagnose.It could be a simple as the exhaust manifold pulse that spins the charger to problems,the spectrum is way to wide.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yea there is not end play. The turbo is in spec.

I'm gonna try again and see if can get a video...

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I feel like a *******.........

Its my engine fan...the shroud was sending an echo that made it sound like it was coming from the turbo.

I pushed on the shroud a little...noise gone.

Sorry for being a bit slow guys lol